Wishbass discussion

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

I searched and was not satisfied.

I honestly don't see where the hate comes from.

Does anybody here have one?

Has anybody played one?

I've seen good reviews.

Sure they are pretty heinous looking (the majority of them), but it just seems like the hate is irrational.

I know Kindness has said that the truss-rodless setup is ill-conceived.

Care to enlighten?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i think it's a combination of lack of workmanship and questionable design choices.

in the grand scheme of things though, it's not like he's charging thousands of dollars for his instruments and is pretty upfront about the lack of "detail" work so i'm not sure why he pisses so many people off :idk:

• Members

I searched and was not satisfied.

I honestly don't see where the hate comes from.

Does anybody here have one?

Has anybody played one?

I've seen good reviews.

Sure they are pretty heinous looking (the majority of them), but it just seems like the hate is irrational.

I know Kindness has said that the truss-rodless setup is ill-conceived.

Care to enlighten?

Good reviews? I think a lot of guys over at Talkbass have developed an affinity for Wishnevsky's work, but they take it as it is. His finishes are worthless, he's notorious for shoddy construction and lack of attention to detail. They know that when you buy a wishbass, you'll often need to plane the fingerboard and do a lot of woodwork/finish work/setup to get it up to par.

Here's a few reviews from a 2005 issue of Bass Player. In the usual Bass Player tradition of giving everything a positive review no matter what, they try desperately to paint the Wishbass as something better than a hunk of firewood and a waste of strings. It's rather comical...

wishbass1.jpg

wishbass2.jpg

• Members

A lot of guys don't have him put the side dots in the fingerboard because he's notorious for getting them slightly off.

...maybe that's why Wishnevshy's intonation is so off in that infamous youtube video, he put all the position markers a half step down;)

• Members

i had a student with one. i played it with a full-open mind...as i had never heard of them. Upon viewing and using the instrument i was stunned at the quality (or, rather, lack-thereof). there was still fresh glue oozing from some of the seams. the "bridge" is a piece of white plastic made to look like bone...or maybe it was bone, made to look like plastic. the side markers were off. the nut was cut poorly and the electronics buzzed like a wasp nest. the action was too high--even for me--and was not adjustable. the "truss rod" was not functional either. i told him to send it back. idk if he did. i hate wishbass

• Members

...maybe that's why Wishnevshy's intonation is so off in that infamous youtube video, he put all the position markers a half step down;)

what're you talking about, that's quality playing on a quality instrument!!!

[YOUTUBE]g_u35sHICjE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

There's a thread on TB where a bunch of members pitched in to buy one and sent it around to give a it "fair chance."

I'll never forget the first line of one of those reviews. "My first impressions are this is the worst bass ever made."

:lol:

• Members

1225272083lmj5.jpg

Here is a wishbass I would actually like to try. I wonder if it would play in tune...

EDIT: Hey, whats up with those lower string bridge saddles? Did he just bunch them up like that because he ran out of space on the body?

Just think how much better of a bass you could have for $1700...

Archived