The man (re) discovered America!

The Aardvark

• Members

How can one plant a flag and claim a land for Spain...

When there were people already here???

That would be like claiming that I discovered Georgia.

Except Georgia and the US have more guns than you. And would disagree. ;)

• Members

he didn't even make landfall anywhere near modern America. (USA) why do we even celebrate?

Yeah! Why don't we have Amerigo Vespuci day instead? I mean we named the continents after him. We are not the United States of Columbus. Just because we have a District of Columbus doesn't mean we don't need Vasco De Gama day or LeFluer day.... :poke:

• Members

Greetings,

No. I'm Native North American. But I do know some people from India that are Americans
;)

Rezdog

You can probably answer a question for me that I've been curious about whenever I see reference to, but not enough to bother researching.

Please forgive my ignorance, and it's probably something so obvious I should know better, but it's just not coming to me off hand...

Both your user name and location reference "Rez" in it. I've also seen a pretty cool (mostly) aboriginal music show on TV here and it's called Rez Blues. What or where does that term originate from? It's seems to be used most, if not entirely by Native North Americans so there is probably some origin there that is just lost on me right now. Care to shed some light on the matter?

• Members

Greetings,

'Rez'....is short form for reservation. Rez Blues.....Reservation Blues. Good show but my band doesn't do blues lol.

Rezdog

We also use it as a shortened version of Reservoir. There is a large Reservoir about a mile from my house and people just call it "The Rez".

• Members

Cristobal Colon ushered in the modern age, and was instrumental in bringing two hemispheres together. One can hate that, resent it, and regret it, but it won't change it.

Colon helped make Spain a world power and helped that nation create the first real world economic and political empire.

History is like that. It is maddening, thought-provoking, and debatable.

But you can't ignore it, nor can you ignore the accomplishments of Colon and his Spanish sailors.

• Members

Cristobal Colon ushered in the modern age, and was instrumental in bringing two hemispheres together. One can hate that, resent it, and regret it, but it won't change it.

Colon helped make Spain a world power and helped that nation create the first real world economic and political empire.

History is like that. It is maddening, thought-provoking, and debatable.

But you can't ignore it, nor can you ignore the accomplishments of Colon and his Spanish sailors.

Actually, he would have had far more recognition if he took the advice of his peers and changed his name.

Can you really see people crowding around a table full of gravy soaked meat products to raise a glass and toast "Happy Colon Day?" I think not. :facepalm:

Archived