Have any of you had a bass PLEKed?

justinbass

• Members

Because I don't buy into GIMMICKS.

Considering it costs $140-160, it seems like an affordable "gimmick" when compared to the cost of a proper fret-leveling by a pro. The fact that Lakland and Lull now PLEK all of their basses makes it seem like less of a gimmick.

• Members

Gimmick? Bwahahaha.

FYI - I don't believe Lakland PLEKs all of their basses, yet.

What I think is even cooler than the fret work functionality, is the nut work the machine can handle. It is really a fantastic device on many levels.

Well, it has the Kindness seal of approval. That's enough for me. :thu:

(Can you read my bushing thread http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2158274 and give me an answer)

• Moderators

I take my basses to a guitar tech, tell him how I play, show him how I play, and I let him work his magic.

Just to address these points, the work performed by the Pleck machine has nothing to do with your playing style and there is no magic involved in any of the processes. Belief in magic is detrimental to understanding the realities of proper luthier technique.

• Members

Just to address these points, the work performed by the Pleck machine has nothing to do with your playing style and there is no magic involved in any of the processes. Belief in magic is detrimental to understanding the realities of proper luthier technique.

LovinMagic.jpg

• Members

Considering it costs $140-160, it seems like an affordable "gimmick" when compared to the cost of a proper fret-leveling by a pro. The fact that Lakland and Lull now PLEK all of their basses makes it seem like less of a gimmick.

This is how I see it - I'd love to have a couple of my Fender basses PLEK'd - my Spectors already have killer action/fret work, as does my Les Paul - although my Strat could probably benefit from it, as well... I've played a couple of guitars that have been PLEK'd, and they were oh-so-smoooth!!!! - no "gimmick" as far as I'm concerned - it's the best possible mix of modern technology and luthier work, IMO...

- georgestrings

• Members

It looks like to work properly the instrument would have to have relativley new frets yes?

For example a 1985 Ibanez with a fair amount of fret-wear, would it be no good?

A shop in Sydney has one,

PIC03181.JPG

If there is enough meat for a fret dress, it can do it. It scans the entire neck, puts the exact relief for your gauge of strings and tuning, gets programmed for the height of the action, and away it goes. Amazing, really.

• Members

If there is enough meat for a fret dress, it can do it. It scans the entire neck, puts the exact relief for your gauge of strings and tuning, gets programmed for the height of the action, and away it goes. Amazing, really.

Sounds bloody good. It costs AUD$179.

I'd be scared to do it though, 'tis my baby...

Archived