Gibson Basses...

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

They have a really growly, mid-heavy tone that can get a little boomy thanks to the position of the neck humbucker. It's comfortable to play thanks to the short scale. There's a little neck dive thanks to the short horns and the location of the strap buttons. All in all, it's a cool bass.

• Members

They have a really growly, mid-heavy tone that can get a little boomy thanks to the position of the neck humbucker. It's comfortable to play thanks to the short scale. There's a little neck dive thanks to the short horns and the location of the strap buttons. All in all, it's a cool bass.

+1, exactly what I was going to say. I bought one of the SG RI basses because I got a deal on a brand new one for $600. Really cool bass. Comfortable as hell.

• Members

There are things you can do to stop the diving of the neck right (i.e. moving the buttons)?

Yep, or using a neoprene strap that 'grips' the shoulder.

I really don't mind the neck-dive. It's not as bad as many would have you believe, and it's a small price to pay for a tone I love.

• Members

I've always liked Gibsons. My first bass was a '67 EB-O. I've owned a Thunderbird, SG-Z, and now a Money Bass and another vintage Gibson that I can't mention until the restoration is done. (Wait for it!!!) The Gibsons I have owned have been and are nice pieces of work. Some complain about the quality issues....I have never been disappointed. Someday I would like to own an SG Reissue. I'd say go for it and enjoy the vibe.

• Members

I've always liked Gibsons. My first bass was a '67 EB-O. I've owned a Thunderbird, SG-Z, and now a Money Bass and another vintage Gibson that I can't mention until the restoration is done. (Wait for it!!!) The Gibsons I have owned have been and are nice pieces of work. Some complain about the quality issues....I have never been disappointed. Someday I would like to own an SG Reissue. I'd say go for it and enjoy the vibe.

I have much respect for anyone who brings a sweet old Gibby back to life, no matter what bass it is! Gibson's are some of the most fun basses ever made, have so much style and character, and tone! My very first bass was damn near a shiny new red Gibby Explorer. I was a kid, and that bass just was screaming to me! I can't believe I chose another over it, but of course the other bass was another sweet Gibby.:D

Details and pics as soon as you can!:thu:

Archived