Had an Apple evening last night

Thunderbroom

• Members
Seriously...you go up to strangers with Macs and ask them why they bought it, expecting them to answer to you, and give you a "valid reason"?

And you also didn't read the part where I mentioned talking to people I know. :facepalm:

Should I just start putting in random words since you aren't paying attention anyway?

Goat choir sickle on plains of chowder. I fully propagate video in he pelegic weeduck.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
News to me.
:idk:

Not to me. And by no means do I wish to get into a discussion of the inner workings of the PC world, I know I don't know a fraction of what you do.

But what I do know however, is that on a PC I had a few years ago, I put all kinds of trial games on it, trial software, borrowed games and apps from friends, etc. All were removed the "proper" way by using the uninstall programs provided. And over time my system started taking a noticeable amount of time longer to boot. The processes and applications running in the background went from something like 35 to over 300, the computer just got more and more buggy over time.

When I mentioned this to some people that I'd consider in the know more than myself, they all gave me the same response.... don't put software on your system that you aren't going to keep, it's just going to bog it down over time.

After reformatting and reinstalling I proved they were right... by using a stop watch on start up and when opening a few apps. Hardly a scientific analysis, but it proved this "theory" just fine to me, I was satisfied with the results I got with my own hands.

Go ahead and tell me I am wrong, if you say I am, then I must be, I know you know what you are talking about. But it won't make me change my mind on the topic all the same. Sorry to say.

• Members
Not to me. And by no means do I wish to get into a discussion of the inner workings of the PC world, I know I don't know a fraction of what you do.

But what I do know however, is that on a PC I had a few years ago, I put all kinds of trial games on it, trial software, borrowed games and apps from friends, etc. All were removed the "proper" way by using the uninstall programs provided. And over time my system started taking a noticeable amount of time longer to boot. The processes and applications running in the background went from something like 35 to over 300, the computer just got more and more buggy over time.

I believe that this would be your problem. :D

It's likely that at least some of that software was not made with good intentions in mind.

After reformatting and reinstalling I proved they were right... by using a stop watch on start up and when opening a few apps. Hardly a scientific analysis, but it proved this "theory" just fine to me, I was satisfied with the results I got with my own hands.

Go ahead and tell me I am wrong, if you say I am, then I must be, I know you know what you are talking about. But it won't make me change my mind on the topic all the same. Sorry to say.

You're not wrong, but the system isn't going to stay in that virginal state forever. It will slow down somewhat as you install software that has to load at boot, but my experience has been that this slowdown plateaus off at a point, rather than growing constantly over time.

If nothing else, I've found that excessive "tweaking," as suggested by a lot of crackpot computer "advice" sites, makes things worse than just leaving the machine alone. I tried all that nonsense with my first installation of Windows XP, since I didn't know better, and it really wasn't better off for it at all. I've tried a much more hands-off approach since the last and only reinstall I've done, and things have been much more stable over time in terms of responsiveness.

In short, it happens, but you can't point a finger at the registry alone.

• Members

:lol:

I like how owning 4 apple products makes someone a "fanboi". In our apartment, we have an XBox, and XBox 360, a Zune and a PC running windows.

Does that make us "fanbois"? probably not. We are more likely called "fanbois" for owning 2 macbook pros, an iPhone and an iPod.

BTW - I actually work at an Apple Store, which is why I have the avatar I do. Show me someone who doesn't want to promote their products, and I'll show you someone who will go out of business sooner rather than later.

• Members
:lol:

I like how owning 4 apple products makes someone a "fanboi". In our apartment, we have an XBox, and XBox 360, a Zune and a PC running windows.

Does that make us "fanbois"? probably not. We are more likely called "fanbois" for owning 2 macbook pros, an iPhone and an iPod.

BTW - I actually work at an Apple Store, which is why I have the avatar I do. Show me someone who doesn't want to promote their products, and I'll show you someone who will go out of business sooner rather than later.

AppleTV = Fanboi.

• Members
Is this "triBook" a real Apple concept or is it just the fantasy of some macgeek like the macBook Touch?

08_macair_080505e1.jpg

All of the above are based on current patents that Apple holds. The automotive industry has come out with plenty of designs and prototypes that never saw the road (and for good reason, in some cases), but you have to start somewhere!

• Members

If you like a product (computer, amp, automobile, whatever) then go with it.

For me, I've always used PCs. Our XP laptop & desktop have anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware software and I have had zero problems. On occasion I have used Macs and have always had problems with software freezing up. So I will probably stick with PCs. They are reliable with the right software and do what I need them to do

• Members

If you like a product (computer, amp, automobile, whatever) then go with it.

For me, I've always used PCs. Our XP laptop & desktop have anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware software and I have had zero problems. On occasion I have used Macs and have always had problems with software freezing up. So I will probably stick with PCs. They are reliable with the right software and do what I need them to do

For me it's about bang for the buck. Period. I'm a starving college student.

Apple priced themselves out of my range. Even their $599 MacMini (which is barely beefy enough to run anything beyond Safari it seems), I can spend six Benjamins on a pretty hulking PC.

• Members

I cannot FATHOM how these discussions always degenerate into either "Apple is the bestest" people or the other people justifying how they are SO above Apple and their hardware and their users.

Either it's people over-praising Apple to people questioning people's intelligence for choosing Apple. It's a fricken computer people...it doesn't define who you are. It don't tend to judge others on what computer they use...just what kind of bass they play. :D

• Members

Well, you've answered your own question. You're a computer expert and you see the concerns of us non-experts as silly. I get that. But you should realize that the things that seem trivial to you might seem arduous to others.

It's a joke.

My background in "computers" does not qualify me to comment on anything else that requires expert qualification, which was the primary point of that comment.

Since I work in support, it's my job to be concerned about what users find difficult when working with our products. I'm not completely oblivious to that.

Stop reading all of this ivory-tower bull{censored} into what was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek comment.

I believe that is a another very condescending answer on your part
:cop:

Does the :D mean nothing to you? :confused:

• Members
Does the
:D
mean nothing to you?
:confused:

The tone of all your posts in this thread (including the last one) has been very condescending ... smiley face or no smiley face.

Anyway, it's not important. From my point of view as a user who has no motivation to learn how computers run, I just want stuff to work. If I install a piece of software or add a peripheral, I don't want to spend an afternoon getting it to work properly. And if I uninstall a piece of software, I want it gone completely.

Evidently there are enough folks like me around to keep Steve Jobs well fed.

• Members

The tone of all your posts in this thread (including the last one) has been very condescending ... smiley face or no smiley face.

I'm sorry, but that isn't my intent at all, and I've been conciliatory at points where I know others are also correct (note that those are the parts of my posts that you remove when you quote them?)

As I said, you're reading into this way too much.

• Members

No support for CAD programs means no Mac's for me.

Yes...CAD and some of the major names in 3D programs seem to ignore the Mac.

Coming from a 3D perspective: Yes, the Mac has Maya and Modo and Cinema 4D...but it only recently got Zbrush upgraded to be on the same version as Windows. Plus there's no 3D Max, no XSI, no Vray. PLUS most of the 3D packages are all going 64 bit...which they could easily do with the Mac, but so far only Cinema 4D has updated their software to be 64bit for the Mac. And this is a major concern because not only can you address much more RAM, the programs do feel more responsive.

For print and other graphics, the Mac is still king in many areas. But for 3D it plays second banana.

• Members

For print and other graphics, the Mac is still king in many areas.

They are, or at least were... how much does this statement hold up with today's high end PC's though? (it's an honest question, I don't know the answer)

There was a time when Macs rules graphics, do they actually rule it still, or do people just hold on to that statement for justification?

FWIW (not much I know) we have a graphic artist at work who is naturally Mac exclusive. He has a pretty solid G5 setup. I do some graphic arts and a ton of other things, so stay with PC. At times I need to crack his Photoshop/Illustrator files for various reasons and watching my machine chug away at them and his? Mine slaughters his Mac and there is NO way I'd call my processor or anything about my PC superior to his Mac, yet I can open and save the same file faster than he can when stop-watching each machine.

What take about 10-15 seconds to save on my machine can take upwards of 2 mins on his. But having said that, some larger files my system just plain won't open, he has to downsize them first for me, so there is a definite trade off happening somewhere.

Archived