What brand strings do you use?

HumanElement

• Members

I've been playing DR Hi-Beams for around 10 years. I love them, they last a very long time. But locally they have had a bit of a price jump lately. The 45-105's are around $38 & the 50-110's are $40-$42.

I'm looking for a more affordable substitute. So, my question is:

What you all playing/paying/time of tones are you getting?:blah:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

D'Addario Prosteels when I can get 'em.

D'Addario Nickels when I can't. If I were to buy flats, it'd be D'Addario Chromes.

They've been great to me as a company and they're readily available at both of my not-{censored}ty local shops. 20 dollars a pop for either set.

I used to get GHS at wal-mart for like 11 something, after tax. I hate them though.

• Members

AMS sells a 3 pack for 24.99. 19.99 for lighter strings.

Yeah. I know. That's why it's crazy for them to be 25 a pop at that store. :p I like the hartke strings. They remind me of D'Addarios a lot. They seem to have a little more top end to me though. Almost like a SS round.

• Members

My Yammy Attitude has the signature .110-.043 Rotosounds, steel, cost around $20 and so far I like them ok. Everything else I own has nickels on them, either Rotosounds, Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies (around 18 bucks I think) or I just started trying out Snarling Dogs at under 12 bucks a set, nickels, all strings .105-.045. The SD's are good so far, nothing horrible at all about them. We'll see how long they go before death.

I just can't afford putting spendy strings on right now, so I'll be doing Snarling Dogs unless things change. They're ok, and don't cost so bad. I order them online at www.juststrings.com.

• Members

I'd love to have the money to buy DR's or Blue steels, but I don't.

I use the Hartke 3pack strings. $24 for 3 sets. They last long, sound great and to my ears get about 90% of DR's sound.

And I've gotten a whole lot less of them dead out of the pack than I did the DR's.

• Members

I use the Hartke 3pack strings. $24 for 3 sets. They last long, sound great and to my ears get about 90% of DR's sound.

That is what I use for round wounds from AMS:thu:

I also use D'Addario flats on a few of my bass guitars and Fender tape wounds on the fretless.

• Members

I'm going to give DR one more shot this month-like s4001, I've received some very inconsistent packages of strings from them, and for their asking price, they ought to be perfect. They've made it right when I've complained to them about it, but I wish I didn't have to go to the trouble.

If the Long Necks I got for the STR and the Nickel Lo-Riders I bought for the fretless go strange on me within a week or so, I'll look into trying some Smiths or some Infelds.

Archived