So the Defretting went better than expected.

Boosterbleep

• Members

Yup, and wow, talk about a culture shock for a first timer with those strings.

If you want to ease into the world of fretless a little without too much shock, try D'Addario half wounds. I have them on my fretless and don't mind them terribly.

LOL but MEH never cared too much for the half rounds.

IMo rounds sound amazing on a fretless:wave:

• Members

Yet you suggested tapewounds.
:facepalm:

I was just saying that if you were going to use a metal wound string flats would be my choice over rounds or half/ground round wounds:p dayum that was a mouth full:blah:

Currently I am using the fender tape wounds which is a round wound string with a plastic covering. they sound really good and you don't loose too much of the round wound tone except you you don't have all of that awful zipper sound that rounds and half rounds produce when sliding and you don't have to worry about the fingerboard getting all marred up. rounds and half rounds can wreak havoc on a fretless board.:rawk:

• Members

...The nut has been milled down 0.05cm but before I glue it back on ...

Also, what strings should I put on this bass ?

You might try it out before you glue it down. On mine, the string height was lowered to 0.020" at the nut, but I'm thinking about lowering it to about 0.010. It's not glued and just has the strings holding it down.

I like flats.

• Members

Heres an update. I will take some pictures soon, once I get it restrung.

I have now filled in the gaps left by the frets and it has come out better than expected. I will start with a list below of the tools/materials used.

Safety Knife

Masking Tape

Fine Sandpaper

Wood Filler

Inkjet Ink Black

Super Glue

First of I had the nut milled down 0.05cm.

I masked of the body of the bass to prevent any damage from sanding etc.

I lightly sanded the fingerboard to take of any roughness around the areas where the frets were located, as these came out with not much problem this was a 2 minute job.

I then used the safety knife to clean out the fret gaps in preparation for filling. Next I mixed up enough wood filler to fill the gaps and mixed in the black inkjet ink to color.

I applied the wood filler liberally to all the gaps and once this was done, i cleaned of the excess using a damp cloth. I waited a little while and gave the fingerboard a very light rub down with the sandpaper before cleaning again. Next I refitted the nut.

I again waited a short time before applying some wood treatment.

The results have been nothing short of nice, the black ink has kinda turned grey which in some light looks black and sometimes a light grey. It looks pretty nice and it would be difficult from more than 1 metre away to tell it was originally fretted.

I will post pics of the finished bass soon. I havent added the bottle opener yet. Its turned out so well im kinda loathe to attach one now.

• Members

Not having taken this approach to a fretless - I'm wondering if the fingerboard is flat enough to not have buzzing problems when the action is set low. (The way I like it.) It could also make a difference bassed upon how worn the fingerboard is. (These could be things that are never a problem.) Looking forward to the final report.

Archived