Bring an abused old Ibanez back to life.

Bowen

• Members

Somebody didn't CARE about good looking woodgrain. Same as I don't care for pickguards, same as some people do. Same as some people care for wide string spacing, others want narrow.

The guy figured it's a cheapo bass, I'll customize it. Little did he know how desirable this bass was, and someone would want it offa him for a good price.

Let's talk price.

What would you look to sell this puppy for?

What would someone here offer for this?

HCBF Auction?

I agree, in the 80's it was probably some awful 70's POS. I've seen some awful things done to neat instruments because they were not fashionable at the time. An example: 1988 There is a new pawnshop in my area and I was looking for a les paul. They had a Gibson, whatever model has a bound headstock, that was badly covered in snakeskin print vinyl, $145. Next to it was a minty fresh Lyle flametop, multi-layer binding everywhere w/ gold hardware, $130. I bought the Lyle.

Anyhow, I'm going to play the bass some to see if I bond with it. If not then it will go up for trade on the local craigslist. I do not enjoy shipping instruments.

• Members

ok, even though the black paint job was aweful, you can at least understand why someone would try to cover up the Wham paintjob.

But we need to research the history of that bass and find out who covered that woodgrain and string them up by their nuts

Next comes the body. This is a pretty heavy body and I cant wait to see the woodgrain. I am hoping that it is a natural, but the violin finish will be okay too.

5.jpg

Strip the body: The pickup is the original "Super 4" pickup, the mounting is really cool. There is a thick aluminum plate that mounts to the body on the bottom of the pickup cavity. The pickup then screws to the plate. The routing on the body is very well done with no tearout, everything is shielded and lacquered.

6.jpg

Removing the black paint

7.jpg

SWAK!

8.jpg

Scrape, sand, cough cough cough. (actually I was wearing a dust mask and working in front of a 1500 CFM shop air filter unit) Here is the woodgrain, I am re-offended that anyone would paint this. I suspect that someone saw debbie gibson at the mall and in a fit of sexless rage he came home and started sanding and painting his big brother's bass. The white paint was signed (unintelligible) and dated 4-1-86. Here the back is cleaned off. There is a little sand through of the finish here and there, Some of it was my fault and some was already there.

9.jpg

Archived