EQ preferences

L. Ron Hoover

• Members

FLAT.

If an amp is truly a good quality amp, it'll sound good without needing any EQ tweaking. Straight-up, it should rock.

Right, but no one would buy a bass amp without an EQ on it. There are times when EQ is necessary.

You are right, though, an amp should sound great with the EQ flat (or defeated ;)). Believe me, that's foremost in my mind...

• Moderators

As long as I know what it is doing, I can use almost any stack. However, for me to achieve my goals, I find these ranges most helpful: 80-125 Hz (boom), 250 Hz (thickness), 800 Hz (smoothness). As long as I can manipulate those three areas, I'm good.

• Members

As long as I know what it is doing, I can use almost any stack. However, for me to achieve my goals, I find these ranges most helpful: 80-125 Hz (boom), 250 Hz (thickness), 800 Hz (smoothness). As long as I can manipulate those three areas, I'm good.

I agree but often I find myself reaching for 1200 Hz (snottiness).;)

• Members

I'm comfortable with Gain, Treble, Mids, Bass, all +/- which I guess is "Active"?

Although mid sweeps and freq controls do help, I find that best suited for FOH stuff to get a lot of "punch" and "depth" from the FOH PA.

But again everything (sans the Charvel) has active onboard EQ w/ mid switches and stuff, so my amp needs are or can be basic compared to others, who are stuck with just volume, volume, tone. :p

• Members

I find that I can get the best sound out of an amp with a fully parametric EQ.

That said, it's a pain in the ass to use live. If I've got an amp on stage that I may need to adjust during a performance, I prefer a graphic EQ because it's easier to grab the slider that I want on the fly.

• Members

So, what are your preferences for EQ format on an amp or preamp?

I strongly prefer all passive (V/V/T) controls on my basses.

As for the amp or pre-amp, I love to have total control over the mids. I'm fine with just a knob for bass and treble. But I want fully parametric (or maybe semi-parametric) controls over high- and low-mids.

I'm also a real fan of how the Phil Jones Bass preamps are voiced. They have sliders (or knobs) for low-bass, high-bass, low-mids, high-mids, and treble. Even though you can't control the sweep and/or width of the mids, I'm happy with the tone I can get out of them.

• Members

I like having a graphic and then Low/low-Mid/high-mid semi-para/high. I can do without the graphic but I do like to have the option.

I liked the Shuttle's EQ pretty well, and I'm more than OK with the Mesa's (low/mid/high/graphic).

On basses I like bass/mid/treble/pickup balance/and a switch of some sort. It's nice to get your amp set the way you want, and then dial for different songs from the bass. I like that :)

• Members

I picked 4 band full parametric - but then I needs stuff most don't. ;)

Realistically, if you had a switched bass frequency to address E and slightly lower than B you ought to be good, and there ain't nothing wrong with a fixed treble.

As that goes you could probably do well with switched mids too - two sets of controls for Q and boost/cut and a two- or three-way switch for frequencies.

• Members

I really like the layout of my drome 15". Bass, semi-parametric mids, treble and bright. Full bright and the rest flat works very well for slap. A bit of mid boost around 800hz works good for fingerstyle. :)

That said, I'm not really picky on this. As long as I at least can add some mids around 800hz, I'm pretty happy.

• Members

My new Ibby Prestige has a sweepable midrange. I no longer touch my amp even for room acoustics, this thing is like having MAGIC at your fingertips. I can dial incredibly precise, I can use it like a wah and sweep back and forth like crazy, and I can get MAD honkin' mid boost for solos and noodling.

My amp's EQ is now officially obsolete! m/ Okay that's untrue... heh heh.

• Members

I like things simple , I've needed EQ in different rooms before but less the better . I think a EQ bypass is a big + , I like to take it out of the chain if it's not needed . I recall my old Demeter pre sounded much better when the DI was pre EQ :idk: Some amps are brighter too and a graphic cut in the mids gives you the classic rounder tone , it's nice if it has buttons and sliders and switches I will push'em but in the end I usually like'em off :cop:

• Members

Ok, so here's what I have in mind:

Stompbox preamp/line driver/DI:

40+dB of gain
Capable of 6VRMS (+18dB) on the line output (enough to drive any power amp)
Switchable HPF: Out; 30Hz; 50Hz

3 band EQ. Low and high shelving, baxandall-type (will interact with each other a bit). Low shelf at about 60Hz, high shelf at about 7k. Basically everything below the low shelf point and above the high shelf point will be equally boosted or attenuated. Semi-parametric mid, sweepable from 200Hz to about 4kHz. All +/-15dB. Defeatable with a switch. Any more EQ than this in a stompbox-type affair isn't really feasible, PCB real estate and power consumption-wise

Transformer balanced DI (Lundahl transformer) pre or post EQ.

Will require a pair of 9 Volts or an 18V adapter.

I have this breadboarded on my bench right now and it's sounding good. The EQ is quite responsive and musical. Next step is a perfboard prototype.

Next would be a full-on rackmount preamp. I was thinking of doing a 2-band passive tone stack (defeatable) with a 4 band active EQ. I was thinking of using fixed Low and high bands and 2 sweepable mids with switchable bandwidth controls (wide and tight), but perhaps I'd add a frequency sweep on the active low and high. It also occurred to me that offering a couple of different EQ formats could be feasible. Say, an optional 4 band fixed frequency EQ as well as what I just described.

Since I've been laid off, I've been putting in a lot of hours at these projects. I'm seriously considering taking these projects to the commercialization level.

• Members

I don't practice enough to develop preference. I like everything from passive VVT to 2 band 'Ray to 3 band Bongo.

That said, I like simple. Usually flat or flat with a bit of bass and a little less treble. Depends on my noodly mood and what the song on the radio sounds like. I don't like scooped.

Warm, thumpy and growly for me. JPJ 'Lemon Song' style.

I like the Timbre controls on the Thunderfunk and the VLE/VPF on the LMK II to achieve the right sound. Mostly I don't mess with the EQ knobs on either bass or amp.

Archived