how many watts and how many ohms

poomwah

• Members

in this VERY quick and crude diagram, what would be the total resistance? 5.33 ohms? what would the total power handling be?

First you need a diagram. Second you need to tell us what the speakers are.

For total power handling, just add it all up straight, no funny math needed.

• Members

Depends on how the speaker load given that diagram. I twould personally hesistant to push more the 400 watts with a distrobution scheme like that. Some loads are 4 some are 8 some or 2 and it is averaging out to 5.33. Hard to say what the true rating will be and the cabinet loading will have a big impact on what they not only produce for SPL but can handle for power.

• Members

The impedance is 5.33 Ohms and the total power handling is 1200W, making the assumption that each driver can actually handle 200W at any given frequency. That's not a good assumption. :D

The total power handling is equal to the sum of what each driver can handle. The math backs it up. In this case, 1200W is 80V and 15A. By Ohm's law each driver will drop 40V and have 5A running through it given 80V at the input. Basic circuit analysis.

And what Kindness said.

• Members

thats 2 8 ohms in series =16

running parallel to

4 8 ohms in series =32

2/32 + 1/32 =3/32

reciprocal 32/3 ??

Close... there are only 2 series connections in there.

Here's the grouping:

two 8 ohms in series (16 ohms)

[running parallel to]

two 8 ohms in parallel (4 ohms)

[running in series with]

two 8 ohms in parallel (4 ohms)

Break it down further:

two 8 ohms in series (16 ohms)

[running parallel to]

two 4 ohms groups in series (8 ohms)

The math:

1/Total Impedence = 1/16 + 1/8 = 5.33

Or:

Total Impedence = 1/(1/16 + 1/8) = 5.33

• Members

well the voice coil power rating is a heating rating. The mechanical power rating is something entirely different. Speaker loading will affect both.

You are correct to some degree. Yes, there is an explicit heat dissipation at DC resistance. But in a speaker system (or in any A/C system for that matter), you can't differentiate heat dissipation vs. mechanical power usage. They are very much related and fluctuate against each other as frequency changes.

Impedance and Q curves need to be plotted out to get an accurate idea of how the speaker system will react to x watts at y frequency.

The only way you can make it simpler, is by doing what most people do... comparing the wattage output of the amplifier to the wattage rating of the speaker.

• Members

renfields right as usual :]

I might have a solution though, I have a chance to trade my 810 for an avatar 115 and 210 (8 ohm)... then I can just put the 8 ohm 210 on top of my 8 ohm 410 and have 4 ohms :]

I just don't know if his 115 is a delta or kappa (it doesnt say on the cabinet what the power handling is)

Archived