Let's talk about Wireless(es)!

venturawest

• Moderators
I use the X2, only for practice as im not in a band. Never had any problems.

I use rechargeable 9V batteries, I have two which I rotate. If I were to play in a band I would buy an additional 2 for gigs and take 4. I would use fully charged one for each set. At least thats the plan, whether I even get to use the plan is a different story.

Then you would be wasting a lot of time. I can get 4 hours worth of gigging in with one freshly charged battery in the X2 transmitter.

• Members

Then you would be wasting a lot of time. I can get 4 hours worth of gigging in with one freshly charged battery in the X2 transmitter.

With your XDS-Plus being great, and whatever batteries you're using up to snuff, I may have to jump back on the bandwagon yet again!

I'm subbed in that other thread, so make sure and post what batteries you're pushin'!

• Members

It would be to err on the side of caution, im pretty sure two would be adequate but you never know. And it takes around 20 seconds to change the battery so not wasting a whole lot of time really. I could do it in around 10 if I practiced.

• Moderators
It would be to err on the side of caution, im pretty sure two would be adequate but you never know. And it takes around 20 seconds to change the battery so not wasting a whole lot of time really. I could do it in around 10 if I practiced.

You'll note the ones here who actually gig with the X2 haven't mentioned switching batteries much. If you actually gigged with them, you would understand, that one is more than sufficient. Having a second on standby as a backup battery is erring on the side of caution. ;)

• Members

You'll note the ones here who actually gig with the X2 haven't mentioned switching batteries much. If you actually gigged with them, you would understand, that one is more than sufficient. Having a second on standby as a backup battery is erring on the side of caution.
;)

+11.

I always got 4-5 hours from mine. Plenty of time for a show, plus soundcheck and screwing around.

• Members

You'll note the ones here who actually gig with the X2 haven't mentioned switching batteries much. If you actually gigged with them, you would understand, that one is more than sufficient. Having a second on standby as a backup battery is erring on the side of caution.
;)

Im using rechargeables. They dont last as long.

• Members

I use the Shure PG14 system. Works great. Uses AA batteries instead of 9Vs, and I can get two (4 hour cover band) gigs out of one set of batteries. I don't really know how far away from the receiver I can get, but at one point during an outdoor gig Sunday morning, I was completely across a 4-lane street from my rig. The delay was noticeable, but it didn't drop out.

I hear a lot of people talk about how it "squashes" your signal, or you lose some "definition", etc.
:blah:
I don't hear any of that.

MSRP $425....most places $299.....got mine new-in-box off ebay for $225.

I have the same unit and am quite happy with it. I was once tinkering around with it in a huge room and from 100 feet away, I started to notice a delay. Then I popped in my IEMs and the delay disappeared. The delay was due to the distance from the speakers to my ears, not the distance from the transmitter to the receiver.

If I played the PGX by itself and compared it to a good cable, I might be able to tell the difference through a good reference rig. As with most things, the instant the distorted guitars come to the party, you cannot hear any difference.

• Members

I challenge you two to a double-blind test because I doubt that either of you could tell the difference between wireless units or cables. I could be wrong, but the L/\// thread leads me to believe otherwise.

:)

As far as cables are concerned, I can tell "working cable" from "non working cable," and I prefer the ones that work. I use mostly Monster cables bought at deep discount or from GC's garbage cable bin for $3, then exchanged for new. I use Monster because I didn't pay full price, and can exchange them no questions asked, not for any sonic superiority.

I haven't compared my wireless to any other wireless; it's the only one I've owned. I have never even tried out another wireless, so it's quite possible I couldn't tell mine from any other model.

It's possible I couldn't tell the difference sonically between my wireless and better cables. I can tell the difference between my wireless and my cables, with my 5 string and especially my Mouradian. That thing is ridiculously noisy with a cable.

• Members

I wish I could get X2's over here, but they haven't been cleared over here for use. Apparently there's conflicts with the frequency they operate on over here, sucks hardcore. They were very well priced and their reviews spoke for themselves. I'd be a bit iffy on buying one of the new ones after Line 6 bought them out, apparently there's been a few QC issues.

If I could find something similar that worked over here at a reasonable price I'd be a happy man, I'd love to get a wireless, my guitard has been for ages and it annoys me. Although I do love it when he forgets to replace his batteries and it drops out :D

• Members

HA:D

I am using a cheap ass 50 dollar Nady wireless transmitter and receiver and use it on a weekly basis for gigs and practice. it has not failed me yet and I have not changed the batteries in the receiver in months.

I like the convenience of not being tethered to my amp but i can tell a difference in tone between the wireless and a cable.

• Members

You guys should also check out stageclix. It's pretty much brand new, made by a company in Amsterdam. It's digital, like the X2, but it operates at 2.4 GHz (same as Wifi or Bluetooth), so it's legal to use around the world. Not for sale in the states yet though, as far as I can tell...

www.stageclix.com

header.png

I've actually through some coincidence had the opportunity to test a prototype for a few months, and I have to say it's pretty awesome. Built-in rechargeable battery that lasts up to 15 hours, and you charge it by plugging the sender into the receiver. That's also how you pair the devices, so you don't have to mess with channels and stuff. Brilliant design IMO. I'll post a more detailled review later.

• Members

I wonder how well that Stage Clix device would work with an active bass.

With the prototype, I've had some interference humming caused by active electronics, but only in certain positions. By fixing it in a certain position, it was fine and I used it at two gigs.

It was actually the first feedback I gave them, and they did an electronic redesign to solve this problem. I haven't tried the final version yet, so I can't confirm if it's completely gone. In any case, they make a beltpack version too, just in case. ;)

• Members

My concern would be with a bass that uses an 18 volt system and a standard 1/4" stereo jack to power it. The bass is depending on the ring and the sleeve of the jack to be shorted together by a standard tip sleeve mono plug. In the case of the Stage Clix, the battery of the bass and the battery of the transimitter would be connected together and the transmitter could be damage. I mention the 18 volt system because I'm assuming that the transmitter works off of a lower voltage.

I guess it wouldn't be hard for the manufacturer to build in a smart circuit that shorts the ring and sleeve with it isn't being charged.

• Members

I've been using it with 3 different 18v basses with no problems whatsoever. No clue how (my technical knowledge is limited), but I guess they found a way to make it work.

Like I said, it wouldn't be a hard work around, but that just struck me as odd at first glance.

• Members

Sennheiser EW172

I bought it before I was even gigging. I've used it extensively over the last few years and it has worked flawlessly.

+1. the only issue i've ever had with mine was my own fault, due to not changing batteries when i should have.

i like the fact that the transmitter runs on two AA batteries, and have gotten 3 or 4 gigs out of a set regularly.

• Members

You guys should also check out stageclix. It's pretty much brand new, made by a company in Amsterdam. It's digital, like the X2, but it operates at 2.4 GHz (same as Wifi or Bluetooth), so it's legal to use around the world. Not for sale in the states yet though, as far as I can tell...

www.stageclix.com

header.png

I've actually through some coincidence had the opportunity to test a prototype for a few months, and I have to say it's pretty awesome. Built-in rechargeable battery that lasts up to 15 hours, and you charge it by plugging the sender into the receiver. That's also how you pair the devices, so you don't have to mess with channels and stuff. Brilliant design IMO. I'll post a more detailled review later.

Agh curse you, I just started another thread about that.

I fired them an email asking when development for Australia will be done :poke:. here goes no answer....

Archived