Let's talk about Wireless(es)!

venturawest

• Members

Now that i'm gigging routinely, i'm thinking about going wireless.

Which systems are you using, and what are your pros/cons of each?

I LOVE wireless. Even on small stages without much room to really move around, it is still great to have. No cords to twist and step on, easy to go out in front of FOH to hear how things sound, easy to interact with the audience and mix it up with them, easy to cross over to the other side of the stage or back behind the drummer if necessary.

I use an older Sennheiser Digital 1000. Works fantastic, quality construction, no frequency loss or squeeze, more than plenty of signal strength with no drop outs, it's all good. I can wholeheartedly recommend this unit.

Downsides? The biggest thing is battery drain - this unit (like most) really eats 9 volt batteries at a frightening clip. You MUST start each gig with a brand new fresh battery. Also, these units are of course more expensive than a cord so that's a con. You've also got one more piece of gear (or two actually) for things to go wrong with, and potential for problems.

All in all though, I'm a big fan of going wireless.

• Members

I just got a Samson Airline. I haven't got the chance to use it live yet (Friday + Saturday I will though!). My friend has been using his ever since I've been in the band and loves it. It works well when walking through my house. The are moderately priced ($150 new if you look around a bit)...

Fairly cheap + decent quality = win IMO... :)

• Moderators

Line 6 X2 is the bee's knees. The XDS Plus is the value from them. Nice range and it still takes a standard 9V boss adapter for juice. (fits on pedal board if needed). I also have the pedal version and it works well, too. Some people have LOS issues. I've never had any. The signal quality is the same as the Senn Digital 1000 and the battery lasts much longer. How do I know? I still have a Senn Digital 1000, just in case. Good luck VW.

• Members

I use the Shure PG14 system. Works great. Uses AA batteries instead of 9Vs, and I can get two (4 hour cover band) gigs out of one set of batteries. I don't really know how far away from the receiver I can get, but at one point during an outdoor gig Sunday morning, I was completely across a 4-lane street from my rig. The delay was noticeable, but it didn't drop out.

I hear a lot of people talk about how it "squashes" your signal, or you lose some "definition", etc. :blah: :blah: :blah: I don't hear any of that.

MSRP $425....most places $299.....got mine new-in-box off ebay for $225.

• Members

On a related note, do any of you know where to purchase quality 9V batteries in bulk for a good price. I'm currently getting them at Home Depot for either $11 or $12 for a six pack. My IEM pack uses 9V as well.

Interstate: 9V BULK (156ea) EN22VP ALKALINE $229.00 :D

rad_DRY7521.jpg

12-pack for $24.99

rad_DRY7520.jpg

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Search.aspx?dsNavigation=Ns~product+Type|101|1|,Nrc~id-8,N~32-4290305360&Catalog=RT&ProductID=DRY7520(Other%20Products)

• Members

About batteries.

I've found a secret.

Wallgreens Heavy Duty.

These are NOT alkaline batteries.

They are CARBON ZINC.

286965.jpg

I can get a 1-hour gig and two whole practice sessions from one battery. Dirt cheap at $4.99 for a 6-pack. And, they go on sale often enough at 2 packs for $7 that I can get four or six packs of them and be good for half a year's worth of gigs. They far outlast and outperform Duracells.

• Members

can you rackmount the XDS plus? if not, i'd have to go the step up because i want the unit in my rack.

heh heh. unit, and rack, in the same sentence.

It is short enough that you can sticky-tape it to a rack shelf or another component in your rig and it'll fit in 1U. That's how my current wireless is rigged, just stuck to a rack shelf.

• Members

Sennheiser Digital 1000. Long range, great signal, has been reliable for several years. My basses sound better with it than with any cable I've used. My great sounding but hum-prone one pickup, single coil bass is dead silent (well, except for the actual notes) with it. The low A on my 5 string seems stronger with the wireless. XLR and 1/4 inch outputs are handy as well.

Eats cheap batteries like candy. The Radio Shack rechargeables I tried didn't even last as long as the cheap batteries before needing a recharge. Lithium batteries last many times longer, worth the extra $. It's a half rack unit, which is great for me since my favorite compressor is also.

• Members

It does not carry the low B well. X2 is the first system that I heard no difference in the lowest lows.

Mine must just be "special", or I don't have properly calibrated hearing, then. Granted, I don't play a low B very often.....lots and lots of C & D, though, and I notice no difference between cable and wireless.

Unlike Eric Johnson, I can't hear the difference between battery brands, either!

• Members

I'm no freak like Eric Johnson. But I can hear when something sounds off, and when it sounds good. I ain't bothering to attack {censored} with an oscilloscope like those freaks over at HugeRacksInc.com cuz I like to express my anal-retentive tendencies in much more productive ways.

But when I had a bass room full of bassists listening and a sales guy convinced enough to go buy it himself for his rig for the next night's show, I'd say that's hella-convincing.

• Members

It does not carry the low B well. X2 is the first system that I heard no difference in the lowest lows.

I challenge you two to a double-blind test because I doubt that either of you could tell the difference between wireless units or cables. I could be wrong, but the L/\// thread leads me to believe otherwise.

:)

• Members

Samson Airline, the bug kind.

It's the guitar version, and I don't even hear the difference between a cable and wireless.

Probably because I don't care :p

BTW, the battery lasts insanely long. I can get 5-6 gigs + soundchecks out of a single AAA battery before I replace 'em just to be on the safe side.

• Members

It's some what of a cheddar-factor, and no one else in my band uses one, or else I would.

What's funny is, this is the first band I've been in (arguably ever) where I'm not running FX, and just use the footswitch on my Boogie instead, so I DON'T have to effing run a power cable and patch cables to and from my pedalboard to and from my wireless unit...

• Members

I use the X2, only for practice as im not in a band. Never had any problems.

I use rechargeable 9V batteries, I have two which I rotate. If I were to play in a band I would buy an additional 2 for gigs and take 4. I would use fully charged one for each set. At least thats the plan, whether I even get to use the plan is a different story.

• Members

I challenge you two to a double-blind test because I doubt that either of you could tell the difference between wireless units or cables. I could be wrong, but the L/\// thread leads me to believe otherwise.

:)

Bring it.

Even my bandmates can tell whether I'm using my current Nady wireless or using a cable. That thing was cheap, but damnit it pisses me off knowing how terribly it affects my tone.

The X2, however, would defeat me in a double-blind test, because I hear no difference tone-wise in bass between the X2 and a good cable. Which means it's a DAMN GOOD PRODUCT.

So that would kinda defeat the purpose of your dare.

Archived