the "bass guitars through a guitar amp" commandment

J-chot

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, why is the (not-based-on-evidence) de-facto go-to catch-all-answer given by most "don't, you'll blow your speakers"?

Again, I'd personally just get a bass rig and be done with it, but sounds to me like you've already made up your mind. I say if it sounds good to you and your amp survives, knock yourself out.

Mike

• Moderators

So, why is the (not-based-on-evidence) de-facto go-to catch-all-answer given by most "don't, you'll blow your speakers"?

Because when someone asks whether or not one can do it, 95% of the time the correct answer is, "no, you are going to blow your speakers." :lol: The question is usually posed with a fact scenario that leads others to believe the poster will likely try to ask too much out of the cabinet. For example, many times they are a guitarist that has a guitar rig, but wants to start playing bass and don't want to buy a new cabinet. These players eventually need more bass or more volume, push the limits and blow their cab.

Playing a bass into a closed back guitar cabinet is typically safer than playing bass into an open back cabinet. Lower volume is generally safer than higher volume. Bass rolled off is safer than bass cranked. :blah::blah::blah: However, a well designed bass cabinet is significantly safer than a guitar cabinet - that tends to be the simplest answer.

I play bass through guitar cabinets routinely.

• Members

A) Because no one wants to be responsible for giving advice that could lead to damage of someone else's property?

B) Because people tend to not use restraint or common sense when playing rock music through amplifiers...especially when they're getting this awesome Jack Bruce tone?

C) Because it's an easier and safer response than explaining the circumstances under which it might work OK?

D) Because they have a vested interest in manufacturing or selling bass gear?

Pick your answer. :D

When I was in high school, a buddy of mine bought a full 100W marshall superlead stack. Once we started playing gigs, he realized how absurd it was. He wound up using a small ampeg combo and homemade box...and I played my brand new rick through the marshall. I was very careful not to push it too hard - and it sounded friggin' incredible. :cool:

8 12" speakers working together is gonna move air even if they are guitar speakers. ;)

• Members

Again, I'd personally just get a bass rig and be done with it, but sounds to me like you've already made up your mind. I say if it sounds good to you and your amp survives, knock yourself out.

Mike

I'm not the OP, it's not something I even want to do, I don't even have a guitar rig (bass rig listed below in sig), and my mind is not "made up". I'm just waiting for something other than opinion or anecdotal evidence (I still haven't seen anyone say "I blew up a Twin by putting a bass through it").

Seriously, folks, I'm not trying to start or continue an argument...I just want an answer other than "because everybody knows that". Maybe that's the best answer I'm going to get, though.

• Members

I play my Waterstone TP 12 string basses through both a bass amp for lows (Kustom Groove Bass 210c) and a guitar amp for mids and highs, distorted (Kustom Coupe 36). Sounds amazing and HUGE! Never had a problem.

I know Tom Petersson plays his basses through guitar amps only (Reeves).

Chris Squire plays or at least played through guitar amps.

It works, just depends what tone you want.

• Members

I'm not the OP, it's not something I even want to do, I don't even have a guitar rig (bass rig listed below in sig), and my mind is not "made up". I'm just waiting for something other than opinion or anecdotal evidence (I still haven't seen anyone say "I blew up a Twin by putting a bass through it").

Seriously, folks, I'm not trying to start or continue an argument...I just want an answer other than "because everybody knows that". Maybe that's the best answer I'm going to get, though.

As has been said, if you're careful, you can use guitar gear in a bi-amped type rig. The youtube below has Amy from Clatter explaining her rig and how she uses her Mesa half stack for distorted, guitar-like tones with her Ric.

• Members

Fair enough. My apologies if I sounded argumentative as well. My whole point is just that it's better to be safe than sorry.

But back on topic of bass vs. detuned guitar - even if they're tuned to the same pitch, the fact that the string gauge/scale length/tension are different means you're gonna have a much bigger bottom end on a bass than the guitar, and that makes a difference in how hard the speakers gets pushed.

Mike

• Members

As long as you aren't pushing the speakers into distortion, you'll probably be fine. I've recorded many a bassline through my buddy's old Bassman head and Marshall 2x12 guitar cab (because we're too lazy to swap it over onto a bass cab when we also use the same setup to record guitar parts).

• Members

So I haven't spoken about what I've been doing lately, because I'm kind of ashamed, being a bassist for so long and all....

I play guitar in my new band. I use a Fender Twin, and Vibro Champ for amps currently. Mostly I'm using my ASAT Special, and my RD Artist for instruments lately. On one song we currently play live I use my Danelectro Innuendo Baritone Guitar. It's tuned to B. It allows me to play along easily to my bassist who uses a 5er.

I've never had any problem with them keeping up.

*shrugs*

• Members

Love the debate, it's like when you mention 'under powering' speakers in the live sound forum (use the search function, I really don't recommend using the term under powering... it can't happen....)

I have used my Crate g60 for bass, low volume, to learn songs at home by myself. it sounds pretty good, for a low-level practice-along-with-youtube setup. I would not recommend much more than that.. it was easy and convenient and I have enough sense not to fry anything.

• Members

perhaps I should clarify the usage of this amp:

my bass has both a guitar humbucker and a p-split coil in it. each pickup goes to a seperate tone knob, and output. the bass signal goes to an octave effect, distortion, then is played through a peavey mark V/ tvx 410, and the guitar signal goes to a whammy (which is frequently pitched an octave up), through a muff, then to a dinky kb-100... and I'm pretty sure something's wrong with the kb100...and it's not loud enough. I need an upgrade.

• Members

perhaps I should clarify the usage of this amp:

my bass has both a guitar humbucker and a p-split coil in it. each pickup goes to a seperate tone knob, and output. the bass signal goes to an octave effect, distortion, then is played through a peavey mark V/ tvx 410, and the guitar signal goes to a whammy (which is frequently pitched an octave up), through a muff, then to a dinky kb-100... and I'm pretty sure something's wrong with the kb100...and it's not loud enough. I need an upgrade.

regardless of the pickups the frequency of the output signal is still the low end of the spectrum. The low E on a bass is 41 HZ which is much lower frequency than a guitar low E. If you are playing a 5 string low B is 30/31 HZ

A guitar amp is just not going to be as efficient at picking up a low frequency signals as a bass amp will.

• Moderators

A guitar amp is just not going to be as efficient at picking up a low frequency signals as a bass amp will.

Guitar amps generally don't pick up frequencies. As to how well they amplify them, there is no valid general statement to be made.

• Members

The main problem is with the speakers.

The speakers work by moving the cone back and forth to produce sound.

This is accomplished by the voice coil which is basically an electromagnet or solenoid.It in turns moves the cone back and forth creating sound and frequencies.A bass frequency is a very long and slow.In turn a bass speaker needs a very long throw.meaning it must be designed for long travel back and forth.This is how a bass speaker is designed different than a standard guitar speaker.A guitar speaker will get beat to {censored} trying to move in ways it wasn't designed to.

Archived