PAT testing

cwatson

• Members

Should probably post this somewhere else but being a bass player and having been reading these forums for a while you guys seem to know your stuff.

I don't know what the situation with this is in the States or whether its called something different but it is basically a test for the electrical integrity and safety of a piece of equipment.

Anyways a friend and I were sorting out the testing for the backline at a gig we're putting on at the end of the week. The amps to be tested included 2 guitar heads and a bass head. I asked my friend (who to be honest doesn't know much about gear) whether we'd need cabs as I assumed the testing would involve turning the amps on and obviously running an unloaded amp is a big no. He said no we just need the heads and as I was just lending a guitar combo i just let him get on with (probably foolish). Does anyone have any idea what the test actually involves (I'm guessing earth checks etc) and whether the amps could have been damaged in the process?

Cheers

Chris

• Members

I don't understand what it is you are testing? The integrity of the mains? You want to test them by plugging in your amps? And if they fry, you know you've found a problem?

What am I missing?

The lack of knowledge of all things amplifiers from the OP scares me considerably considering what it is they are testing and hoping to attach approval stickers too/for.

Why do I see this coming from some backwoods country that has no electrical compiances and they are using as the means to tell them what they need to do. :lol:

• Members

Line6 HD100 valve (the bogner designed one)

Marshall MGDFX100

Warwick Quad IV

I have no idea what the test does they plug power cord into a box press a few buttons and it beeps. I think its just earth testing, possibly checking for shorts?

• Moderators

The lack of knowledge of all things amplifiers from the OP scares me considerably considering what it is they are testing and hoping to attach approval stickers too/for.

Why do I see this coming from some backwoods country that has no electrical compiances and they are using as the means to tell them what they need to do.
:lol:

He's not the one doing the testing, his equipment will be tested by someone else. :thu:

• Members

PAT = Portable Appliance testing

The most important test is earth continuity. You put a wandering lead on the metal case of your amp, blast 25 amps up the earth conductor of the power cord and see what the resistance is. As long the internal resistance of the device (ie not including the power cord) is less than 0.1 ohms, you're fine. Over 0.1 ohms, FAIL.

They'll also probably do a insulation resistance test. This shorts together the phase and neutral pins on the mains plug, puts a 500V potential on it and see if anything comes back through the earth pin. If the resistance is too low (I'd have to consult my CoP but IIRC it's 1megaohm) again, it's a FAIL.

Technically speaking they should then also do a functionality test (ie switching the amp on and making sure it actually works). If so then yes, they would need a cab (unless they use some kind of dummy load). They might also do a touch current test which again would involve actually having the amp switched on. But they probably wouldn't. If you're unsure I'd contact whoever's doing the testing and explain that the amps can't be switched on without a cabinet plugged in.

The test wouldn't damage your amp (unless it was pretty seriously fragged anyway)

• Members

I believe PAT is roughly the same as the US's Underwriters Laboratories (UL), except while a UL test is a one-time thing, PAT is (maybe) annual (?).

Depending on the type of equipment, how it's constructed, what environment it's being used in etc etc, the duration between tests can be anywhere from three months to four years.

Archived