Why did Ampeg changed from 6146's to 6550's in the SVT?

poorboy

• Members

Does anyone know the real reason?

There are alot of rumors and half truths floating around.

It seems everyone has their own theory.

I would imagine haveing that plate voltage above the chassis and going to the top of the tube had to pose a safety concern.

Were they given a better price on 6550's?

Was the output higher with 6550's?

Are the 6146's an inferior tube?

What facts do you have?

• Members

You should ask sedan_dad over at talkbass.
:idea:

Sorry.
:lol:

I can look for stock answers from sources like the Ampeg book, but I'm not going to have any first hand knowledge or insight.

I am Sedan_Dad at Talk Bass.

I didn't know either when I talked to myself.

• Members

Reliability. The 6146's were a poor choice.

Of course 6146's were a poor choice - it's a RF power tube.

However, they were insanely reliable. Up till the 70's there weren't many military comm sets that didn't use them, plus commercial mobile sets, including VHF FM (think police, etc). They were cheap, easily available (Radio Shack carried them) and would last for years of service. One "ruggedized" version (6146W) would take an absurd amount of mechanical and electrical abuse, and soon became the darling of the festival SRE crowd.

• Members

Of course 6146's were a poor choice - it's a RF power tube.

However, they were insanely reliable. Up till the 70's there weren't many military comm sets that didn't use them, plus commercial mobile sets, including VHF FM (think police, etc). They were cheap, easily available (Radio Shack carried them) and would last for years of service. One "ruggedized" version (6146W) would take an absurd amount of mechanical and electrical abuse, and soon became the darling of the festival SRE crowd.

They weren't reliable in the SVT. That's why they were only used for a few months and why Ampeg put together a kit to retrofit 6146 models to 6550's.

• Members

I owned one of those old Ampegs and ended up talking to someone from Ampeg about the amp, and he told me they switched tubes because they were becoming increasingly hard to come by.....which is why I got rid of it. I'm not sure if that is 100% accurate, but that's what I was told.

Archived