What bass effect to use?

drenwick

• Members

Hey Folks

I'm the drummer in a blues/rock trio. I'm wondering what effects pedal you would recommend for our bass player for those times when you wish you had a rhythm guitar going (but you don't have a second guitar), i.e. during certain lead guitar parts, etc. - something to add a little backbone to the rhythm section. Thanks in advance for your advice!

• Members

I take the complex approach to solving this problem. :lol:

I have a stereo/biamped, bass rig.

The bottom amp/cab is clean save for a pedal I engage during solos and need to beef it up. It's an octaver, sends my signal down one octave.

The second amp, on top, gets a good bitey distortion pedal, like a Tube screamer or Rat. Presently this pedal is a GutterMouth Electronics "Super Catastrofuzz". :thu:

During the solos I engage both pedals and I play up an octave. That way I am playing distorted bass in the same frequency rage as the guitar, and clean bass back down an octave in the bass range. :cool:

A simpler approach is getting an Electro Harmonix Micro POG. It is an octave/synth type effect that can go up or down and octave, or both.

It has a thinner, guitar like tone, where the lower octave has a a thinner, guitar like tone. In other words, not much thickness in it to double the bass like the last example, so do the opposite then. Employ the up octave only, along with the normal signal and strum out power chords.

Because the POG is a synth pedal, it can handle chords where most normal octavers can't. So tell him to lay in on those power chords and watch the rhythm guitar reappear from nowhere. Even better if you can engage some distortion going into it (before).

I'm one of the most effects happy bassists I know. FWIW

And you caught me at a weak moment where I decided to be helpful for a change. :lol:

Welcome noob. :wave:

• Members

Both of the above answers are correct. Personally, I have split my signal between a clean bass amp and a Marshall tube guitar head. Sounds killer.

My next rig setup I want to build together is to use my YBA-1 to drive the top two 12's of a 4x12, loaded with Vintage 30's. The bottom two powered by a clean amp (presently an XS400H), and Eminence 12" bass drivers. :cool:

• Moderators
My next rig setup I want to build together is to use my YBA-1 to drive the top two 12's of a 4x12, loaded with Vintage 30's. The bottom two powered by a clean amp (presently an XS400H), and Eminence 12" bass drivers.
:cool:

That should sound really good. I used to run a split signal clean to a WT330 into Avatar 210/112 and into a pedalboard that included a Trace SM7Eq to roll off the lows, OD and chorus into a JCM600 head into an Avatar 112. That clean sound on the bottom can make all the difference. :cool:

• Members

There's a couple of solutions here.

Effects - Usually a nice overdrive will give the bassplayer that bit of extra oomph that will add some weight to the bands overall sound.

Technique - whilst using the overdrive/fuzz/distortion of choice if your bassplayer can drive some chords where appropriate, this can also carry that phantom rythm guitar effect, but also give you some driving bass. It does depend largely on the style of song though and if doing so will fit.

• Members

That should sound really good. I used to run a split signal clean to a WT330 into Avatar 210/112 and into a pedalboard that included a Trace SM7Eq to roll off the lows, OD and chorus into a JCM600 head into an Avatar 112. That clean sound on the bottom can make all the difference.
:cool:

I've never done the biamp/split rig in a single cab before, should be very interesting indeed.

Archived