Any Sony PSP Users Here?

WillPlay4food

• Members

Looking for opinions, good, bad and ugly on the Sony PSP. I have a 360 at home, but I cannot game on the TV as often as I would like and am considering the PSP as an additional outlet. I have a Nintendo DS but would like to play some more adult games with better graphics but wanted real user opinions before dropping $200+ on the PSP.

• Members

Looking for opinions, good, bad and ugly on the Sony PSP. I have a 360 at home, but I cannot game on the TV as often as I would like and am considering the PSP as an additional outlet. I have a Nintendo DS but would like to play some more adult games with better graphics but wanted real user opinions before dropping $200+ on the PSP.

I bought one for the kids. The tech is amazing, the quality is top notch, the design is perfection. I can surf the web and watch movies on it. Despite all that, they never used it.

• Members

I bought one for the kids. The tech is amazing, the quality is top notch, the design is perfection. I can surf the web and watch movies on it. Despite all that, they never used it.

Sounds like the PS3...I have a 360 and a PS3 and honestly the 360 gets 5x the play time.

There's a GTA game coming out for DS soon- looks like the old-school Grand Theft Auto. M rated too.

• Members

This is exactly what scares me about my prospective purchase. On paper it seems Sony has done some amazing work with available tech, but shouldn't an almost 3 year old system should have way more games for it than the PSP does?

I don't have a PS3, but I love gaming on the 360, especially online. Amazingly enough, MS got the software portion right (the hardware OTOH, well???). My problem is with a 4 year running about I don't get much TV time and even if I did get some time I can't exactly fire up GTA IV or Gears2, Halo3, TOB, etc.

I might be able to get away with Halo Wars but I'm not sure wifey would let me in front of our impressionable child. :D

• Members

Sounds like the PS3...I have a 360 and a PS3 and honestly the 360 gets 5x the play time.

There's a GTA game coming out for DS soon- looks like the old-school Grand Theft Auto. M rated too.

I'll probably end up getting this game. It'll be a nice break from Mario Kart, Zelda & Civilization Revolutions. I still find it hard to believe no one came come in and make a credible run for the handheld gaming market that's basically Nintendo's to lose.

• Members

I'll probably end up getting this game. It'll be a nice break from Mario Kart, Zelda & Civilization Revolutions. I still find it hard to believe no one came come in and make a credible run for the handheld gaming market that's basically Nintendo's to lose.

I have one reason, and one reason only that I would want a PSP- Final Fantasy Tactics. Other than that it's just not worth it. They spend a decade getting players used to having two analog sticks but can't find the space to stick more than one on their portable device, thereby rendering most shooters very hard to play. It makes no sense to me.

• Members

DS has a lot of fun games for adults. Or do you mean adult rated games? I have a DS and have lots of fun on it... I also have a mod-cart though, so I can load any DS game onto it, which makes it easier to find games you like.

Feel free to PM me with more information if that might help.

• Members

I have a Nintendo DS my gf has a PSP-3000. From my experience the PSP seems to have alot of ports like the aforementioned FF Tactics, as well as Disgaea, Resident Evil, Street Fighter Alpha and so on. It has very few quality original titles.

Im not saying I dont like the PSP quite the opposite I love my gfs PSP I just wished it had more original titles instead of just upgraded ports of PS1 games or downgraded ports of PS2 games.

The DS has more original titles however the systems library of games is flooded with alot of crap. Everytime I go to a gamestop I see about 8 - 10 good games the rest of the shelf is just trash.

In the end I prefer my DS only because I use a flash cart that allows me to play roms for both DS and GBA :-p I tried to play ISOs on a first generation PSP and ended bricking the system. Now my gf refuses to let me mess around with hers :(

• Members

The PSP is an OK system, but the market for them has been crashing hard for the last two years and all the gaming magazines I get (like 4/month) by mail all say that PSP is going down fast unless sony makes some drastic power playes to boost it's marketing. Apparently alot of the game developers have stoppe makingthe games for it already, and the UMD movies were in production for all of like 3 months. I personally only use mine to download stuff from my PS3 network an play it on my PSP when i'm going on a trip. As far as media player I have an 80gb zune that does it better, so I just use that.

There are few ways to soft mode the firmware though so you can play roms on it, I have like 3000 roms from SNES/NES/Genesis/Atari/Gameboy that I play on it, but some are choppy and the sound doesn't sync up perfect sometimes.

• Members

I've been reading defensive posts on the playstation forum justifying the PSP's existence which I guess gives me the answer I need (although not the one I wanted). Man, sounds like the DS is the only real handheld game in town until something new comes along.

• Members

I've been reading defensive posts on the playstation forum justifying the PSP's existence which I guess gives me the answer I need (although not the one I wanted). Man, sounds like the DS is the only real handheld game in town until something new comes along.

I'm a Sony gaming fan, but I'm not going to defend a failing platform. There are some good games for the PSP, but I will not buy one based on two or three games. I did this for the PS3 because those two or three games are phenomenal cannot-miss titles, as well as the blu-ray capability. The PSP has no functionality for me asides from games.

• Members

I'm a Sony gaming fan, but I'm not going to defend a failing platform. There are some good games for the PSP, but I will not buy one based on two or three games. I did this for the PS3 because those two or three games are phenomenal cannot-miss titles, as well as the blu-ray capability. The PSP has no functionality for me asides from games.

I hear ya and thanks for the candor. I too won't get a PS3 until I have a 1080p display so I can enjoy both full HD gaming and BluRay discs. I think the only games I'd play on a PS3 are exclusives though as I've heard from many people that the online setup stinks compared to Xbox Live. I know people who've set up private parties on their 360s so they can chat reliably while gaming on their PS3s.

• Members

i own the PSP. it's okay. the graphics are really good and the quality of the device is solid. i don't care for the control setup. having one analog stick located directly below the d-pad makes several games awkward to play. shooters and FIFA soccer come to mind. though Final Fantasy Tactics is pretty sweet.

if what you are looking for is a way to game when the TV is occupied, you might be interested in my solution.

a wide-screen computer monitor and the Xbox 360 VGA cable. you can pick up a 22" monitor for ~$160, the cable is ~$30. the sound is the only possible issue but can be easily run into a stereo or computer. some monitors have speakers, but they're usually lousy. there you have a HD gaming solution for about the same price you'd pay for the PSP (not including games). these prices came from a quick search of an on-line electronics store so you may find better prices if you look around a bit.

• Members

I have a 24" 1080p monitor, but it's DVI/HDMI and my 360 Pro is from before they put HDMI on it. Believe me, I've thought about picking up a Jasper model with HDMI out (I have a headset that'll work with the 360 including chat), but my wife would kill me if I bought a new 360 while the old one was still around.

(Yes, I know a new 360 Arcade model would be the same price as the PSP combo pack I was eying but I still wouldn't be able to live down having two 360s within 5 feet of each other.)

• Members

I have a 24" 1080p monitor, but it's DVI/HDMI and my 360 Pro is from before they put HDMI on it. Believe me, I've thought about picking up a Jasper model with HDMI out (I have a headset that'll work with the 360 including chat), but my wife would kill me if I bought a new 360 while the old one was still around.

(Yes, I know a new 360 Arcade model would be the same price as the PSP combo pack I was eying but I still wouldn't be able to live down having two 360s within 5 feet of each other.)

So swap your HD into the new one, sell your old one (you can get 130 bucks for an old pro without an HD), and blam. You've recouped almost.

• Members

I hear ya and thanks for the candor. I too won't get a PS3 until I have a 1080p display so I can enjoy both full HD gaming and BluRay discs. I think the only games I'd play on a PS3 are exclusives though as I've heard from many people that the online setup stinks compared to Xbox Live. I know people who've set up private parties on their 360s so they can chat reliably while gaming on their PS3s.

IMG_0795.jpg

I have both and yes the XBOX is better for online play, but the downloads/movies on the Playstation network are better and you can buy them and keep them instead of just renting.

• Members

I have both and yes the XBOX is better for online play, but the downloads/movies on the Playstation network are better and you can buy them and keep them instead of just renting.

I also like the fact you can upgrade the PS3's hard drive without paying insane amounts of money. I think the 120GB Xbox HDD is $180 or something stupidly expensive.

• Members

I may just have to do this. My current 360 would cost me money if it develops RRoD since it's past 3 years old.

Yep. Plus the new systems use a thinner chip which is (supposedly) less prone to warping off of the board. It's a win-win all around.

• Members

Yep. Plus the new systems use a thinner chip which is (supposedly) less prone to warping off of the board. It's a win-win all around.

Yes, that's why I specifically mentioned the Jasper model as it has the GPU dye shrink as well as the earlier CPU dye shrink. The arcade models also come with more NVRAM inside in order to hold the NXE firmware. The Pro/Elite don't have this because they come stock with HDDs. Also, I've heard the newest systems are much quieter than the vacuum cleaner model I own.

I don't want to go through another RRoD incident (on my second 360, first was an almost launch system).

• Members

I also like the fact you can upgrade the PS3's hard drive without paying insane amounts of money. I think the 120GB Xbox HDD is $180 or something stupidly expensive.

Yeah my friend has a 500gb on his PS3 and he's gonna come show me how to do it soon as I go buy the HD.

• Members

you can get a VGA to DVI adapter for a few bucks.

• Members

So swap your HD into the new one, sell your old one (you can get 130 bucks for an old pro without an HD), and blam. You've recouped almost.

+1 ...or....put a bunch of bacon on it and in it and have your dog "eat" it. Tell the wife the dog ate the old 360, time for a new one. Why is it alswys left to me to figure these things out for you people. :rolleyes:

Archived