Help! My 6er is f'd up!

Avalanchemaster

• Members

So I recently noticed that when I play the b string from about the 10th fret all the way up to the 24th, I get a resonant (sympathetic) dissonant tone that plays along with the "real" note, which makes it sound out of tune. (like the voice is doubled but off key) Is this a truss-rod issue, an electronics issue or what? any help would be appreciated. I am also going to try a different amp to make sure it is not that. I use a peavey practice amp for playing (most of the time) and also play my guitard through it. playing guitar through it should not have ruined anything, right?

• Moderators

Some times you get a defective string. Sometimes you screw it up on installation. Sometimes you damage it in use. Sometimes it is a different problem. Until you rule out the string as the problem, I'd continue to suspect that first.

• Members

As an FYI, DR has pretty good customer service. If you email them saying you think your pack came with a string that died prematurely, they'll probably send you one.

Most string companies do this. I use SIT strings exclusively, mostly because I like their sound and how they feel...but some of it is their excellent customer service. I have had a couple of sets I have purchased that had strings break...either too soon, or on installation. I have called them and they have sent me not just a replacement string, but TWO replacement SETS. :thu:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

allright, so I changed all the strings and even put on an all new brand of strings...keeping them on the light end however.....

BUT

even with new strings, I still get that atonal sympathetic intonation when I fret the B string in the higher registers (about 17-24).... so now what? I checked the neck for cracks, I rapped on it to see if the truss rod was loose.... could it be that my action is too high and it is some weird form of fret buzz? I am lost here.... I also checked it unplugged and it still intonates that way, so I know it is NOT the amp.... or the pickups....

• Members

bump.

could it be the action? like maybe the string is pressing down on the frets above where I am actually fretting, and thus sounding like two notes at once? Although it looks like proper action. I just don't recall where you want the neck to actually have a little fret buzz..... (or am I confused?)

:wave:

• Moderators

could it be the action?

Because the problem is located in a specific area of the neck, I suspect the setup, particularly the relief. I suspect that your truss rod is too loose and, consequently, you have too much relief in the neck.

• Members

String and set-up, just what I was thinking.

I'd probably double-check the setup first, simply because it's fairly easy and doesn't cost a dime.

I do know that if a fretless board is too flat, you can get sympathetic tones you don't want. But I rarely run any of my boards that flat.

• Members

Sounds like something serious, but those three words together don't tell me anything.
:D

Because the problem is located in a specific area of the neck, I suspect the setup, particularly the relief. I suspect that your truss rod is too loose and, consequently,
you have too much relief in the neck

meaning it is bowed too much and the action is too high? that may be the case....I need to clockwise turn the truss rod, (right?) to straighten it out? I haven't done many setups.... still sort of a newb I guess :facepalm:

and isn't it recommended to loosen the strings and than tighten a half turn at most each day? Do I need to measure string heighth? I know there is probably a link somewhere, but I am not sure where.....

• Members

FAQ's are your friend!

Here, try this:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2067718

Take it slow, re-read everything 3 times, more if you're as slow as me, and come back here with your questions.

This may not fix the problem. But if it doesn't, we'll at least have a much better idea of what is going on. We hope.

• Members

I apologize that I don't have any help to give, just sympathy for what you're going through.

I had the exact same experience with two boutique basses from very well-known manufacturers. Sounded exactly how you describe your problem.

No matter what I did, the problem did not go away. Changed strings, old strings, new strings, different manufacturers...nothing. Tweaked the truss rods, stuffed pieces of paper in the nut slots and the bridge, adjusted the bridges and pickup heights, did everything I could: same sound no matter what. The string produces more "harmonic" content than fundamental. Tuners see the fundamental and say "you're in tune," but it sounds like crap.

One of the basses went back and forth to the luthier a couple times for other things, but I mentioned the problem each time. Each time, the luthier said his tuner indicated no problem, but it still sounded like ass to me. Traded both basses and solved my problem.

I don't know if it's a problem of hearing better or worse than most, but once you hear it on a bass it's all you hear. And it's grating.

I hope you find a way to fix it, and can share it with us all. I sure as heck don't know what it is, but I'd love to know.

Best of luck my friend, I feel your pain.

Archived