help me please with my essay on slap bass!!

Chlo_treacher

• Members

Hey guys

I need your help! For my history of popular music class, one of the essays I need to do is a journalistic style article. the subject i've chosen is funk, but more importantly the influence of slap bass on the style.

I'm going to write a little bit about the history, key figures, who's arguably taken slap too far, how different techniques have evolved, and note some key songs that outline major turning points.

the problem is i dont know where to go in order to find this information! can anyone help? its got to be 1000 words, and its due in this next tuesday.

thanks all!

chlo x

• Members

:D
I don't get it though, some people say Wiki is {censored}, I've found it great.

Yeah it's good for random/general info, but in order to write something substantial, you need more than just conjecture by a bunch of interwebz nerdz... ;)

• Members

I don't get it though, some people say Wiki is {censored}, I've found it great.

you can go edit a page right now and put a bunch of junk info in and save it.

i remember right after that southpark episode where bono was made up entirely of {censored} someone edited his wiki entry to show his weight in courics :thu:

• Members

you can go edit a page right now and put a bunch of junk info in and save it.

i remember right after that southpark episode where bono was made up entirely of {censored} someone edited his wiki entry to show his weight in courics
:thu:

Yeah, I have heard this argument too many times. It's not like you would go to Wiki and base your whole research off of what it has to say. But to exclude it completely doesn't make sense in my mind.

I imagine that the majority of contributers are honest.

Anyway, sorry for the derail :D:D

• Members

^^^

Again it's good for basic/general info and if it's not a widely-accepted viewpoint, it usually gets edited or revised... but there are reasons why you don't see many Ph.D's and MBA's contributing... :D

• Members
^^^

Again it's good for basic/general info and if it's not a widely-accepted viewpoint, it usually gets edited or revised... but there are reasons why you don't see many Ph.D's and MBA's contributing...

This is my point. That fact that it is ruled out as a reference point is stupid IMO.OK, /derail, for real this time. :D

• Members

does anyone happen to know when double bassists started doing the equivalent? was it in the jazz period or earlier?! thanks for the sites guys, this is really helpful!
:)
keep it coming!

I'm certain it was earlier than on the electric. I remember seeing a really old video on youtube where the guy playing upright slapped the hell out of it.

• Members

Repeating what I have seen in American popular music documentaries on the early incfluences up to actual slapping. ANybody with improvement of info or deepening it would be appreciated.

From what I recall, the slap bass style did start with Larry Graham. The funk stuff is based in the influence of afro-cuban styles that started in the blues and gospel, and to a bit Folk and Country, traditions in the african american community in the USA. The music was a combination of familiar (field calls as in African religious or work situations) and the new Christian influence of church music. African Americans started the blues as a fusion of american piano and boogie woogie (stride style) that was huge in early 1900s to 1920s.

The oppression of Southern US slavery plantations lead to slaves finding solace and relief in those familiar call and response patterns typical of the african american story telling songs tradition. The voices in these singing stories were often vocaly improvised with the call being from the singer and response being from the audience.

This eventually lead to the early stats of Rhythm N Blues (RNB) here and what eventually became Jazz. The feel that to me became funk came from these early progenitors. There were aslo marches for funerals with this same feel. The New Orleans funky feeling is an example of this (Louis Armstrong) up to people in the 60s like George Porter Jr of The Meters.

The RNB with its syncopation and improvisation, african american rhhythms and polyrythms, field calls, gospel, traditional European music were the roots to funk. YOu can still hear those elements in the funk that flourished in the whole RNB movement of the 60s. The other element - soulful gospel - remained influential as well. Even Larry Graham came from this tradtion. I believe Church is where his style developed and without a drummer, he needed to play the church music in the syncopated call and response fashion that inluenced Rock N Roll, Jazz, Blues hugely in the 60s where graham started with the band Sly and the Family Stone.

Having taken lessons on Upright Bass - 2 things are clear. 1. Volume is always and issue due to acountsic and the physics of replroducing low notes in the bass frequency. Micing acounstic instruments is prone to feedback. These pefromance issues influence what method you use to be heard (no matter if its slapping, bowing, or pizzacotta).

I think part of the reason the basslines were slapped elsewhere, like in country and expecially rockabilly was the same african american influence on separate white society. There is even bands today playing punk iinfluenced but slapped bass lines.

Anyways, I am trying to say 1 hours of stuff in this post. Feel free to ask questions.

• Members

This is my point. That fact that it is ruled out as a reference point is stupid IMO.

OK, /derail, for real this time.

Because sometimes you kind find info on there like the Civil War happened 2000 years ago, i'm not joking, a girl in one of my Composition classes was writing a research paper on the Civil War and used Wiki as her only source, didn't do any fact checking. This is why Wiki is not an accepted source, it's not necessarily facts, it could just be random peeps opinions on the topic. Best just to stay away when you need a reliable source.

Archived