help me please with my essay on slap bass!!

Chlo_treacher

• Members

Because sometimes you kind find info on there like the Civil War happened 2000 years ago, i'm not joking, a girl in one of my Composition classes was writing a research paper on the Civil War and used Wiki as her only source, didn't do any fact checking. This is why Wiki is not an accepted source, it's not necessarily facts, it could just be random peeps opinions on the topic. Best just to stay away when you need a reliable source.

I understand, my point is that people shouldn't rule it out completely....

• Members
Because sometimes you kind find info on there like the Civil War happened 2000 years ago, i'm not joking, a girl in one of my Composition classes was writing a research paper on the Civil War and used Wiki as her only source, didn't do any fact checking. This is why Wiki is not an accepted source, it's not necessarily facts, it could just be random peeps opinions on the topic. Best just to stay away when you need a reliable source.

/HS girl voice on

"Civil War? Aren't like, NO, wars civil? Or like, what?"

/HS girl voice off

:facepalm::facepalm:

• Members
Exactly right, most people would know something was up if they read that Wiki page...

Actually I was agreeing with the other guys! :D

Considering the state of most US public HS's, this wouldn't surprise me at all...

• Members

Abe Laboriel's another old slap guy that comes to mind. His style of slap is different, in that he doesn't actually slap, but instead pops the string with his thumb.

On the topic of Wiki, there are often times a bunch of referenced websites for the articles, so even if Wiki itself isn't a valid source, one of the websites might be.

• Members

I totally agree with that. I would avoid quoting from WIKI. You need more than one source on any topic as broad as that. The allmusic.com website to me seems like the most sound source I found for music. I read the reviews of artists there too. I love that site.

• Members

The influence of slap bass on the style of funk? On the style of bass playing?

Given you've got 1000 words. I'd suggest not spending a lot of time on the history. Make it clear that the history isn't certain. Larry Graham gets the credit for being the one who brought slap to the electric bass. And Ed Friedland, on his slap bass DVD, says that early upright bassists used to slap in order to be heard. How much is true isn't so clear.

Ed Friedland highlights 3 slappers: Graham, Louis Johnson and Marcus Miller. Are those The Three? Maybe, maybe not. For Friedland, Stanley Clarke, Victor Wooten, Flea, Les Claypool, and others, are really extentions & variations of Graham, Johnson and Miller.

Going forward from that point, I'd suggest saying something about the attitudes surrounding slap. Some people are seriously, venomously anti-slap. Even James Brown was against slap in the early days, saying that is didn't sound like real bass. Yet, Luther Vandross allowed Marcus Miller to slap during ballads. As I've said before on the Forum, women loved Luther's songs; it's the bassists who say, "WTF?! Slapping on a ballad? That's WRONG!" Nevertheless, Marcus brought slap bass into ballads and beyond the restrictions of disco and R&B/funk dance tunes.

You mention slap having been taken "too far" by some bassists. Has fingerstyle been taken too far? Has walking bass been taken too far? I can't stand Jaco's music with the flurry of notes, and the harmonics he throws in. GEEZ! He's more annoying to me than the sloppiest slapper.

Any way ... just some ideas before I set off to clean my apartment.

• Members

I'm certain it was earlier than on the electric. I remember seeing a really old video on youtube where the guy playing upright slapped the hell out of it.

Just one (excellent) example from the 1940's ( I believe ). Wait til 1:12 - yeah boyeeee!

ALL due respect to Larry Graham et al, but ain't no way some electric player "invented" it.

[YOUTUBE]e1tQNqQqIU8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

You mention slap having been taken "too far" by some bassists. Has fingerstyle been taken too far? Has walking bass been taken too far? I can't stand Jaco's music with the flurry of notes, and the harmonics he throws in. GEEZ! He's more annoying to me than the sloppiest slapper.

Any way ... just some ideas before I set off to clean my apartment.

I never understood why people say some players have taken slap, and other styles, too far. If you don't like it fair enough, but in the end it's all just music.

Jesus, 4am, I think I'll get some sleep, I too have assessment due next week! Have fun Chloe :thu:

• Members

Hell yeah! That woke me up.

But it does take me back to the negative experience I had playing/learning jazz. It was not fun--walking bass and chasing chord changes in a lounge where the air is stiff and the audience is stiff. That YT bassist looked like he was having fun.

Nevermind. Let's get back to the fun of slap bass.

[YOUTUBE]yolXHjcsEGA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I think Slap is like scales, modes, theory and the application is as personal and variable as the choice of notes in any line written or improvised structure. I am a primarily fingerstyle player and like it for what I like classic bass tones, walking blues tunes, funky RNB, jazz walking, jazz fusion. I do break out slap lines even when jamming in a classic rock group to break up the monotony or take jam to the next level. So we could morf Smoke on the Water into a funk slap jam back into Smoke as an example.

I am not as proficient with Slap as my fingerstyle playing, especially speed wise. I +am working on it though. My big influence slap wise is the contemporary Mike Gordon of PHISH and I enjoy trying their lines like in LLAMA or Mike Song or David Bowie.

I feel the more ways to play, pick, slap, fingerstyle, tap, hit it with a garbage can if you want the more versatile you are for jobs. Being a niche player might be like a character actor who gets stuck playing the same role no matter what the movie. You lose your satisfaction if you stop growing. That is my personal experience.

I tend to like funk and emotional feel more than anything else. I finally do see the talent of Jaco with a thouand notes or Flea getting busy. If the groove is there, the groove is there. Its also like classic versus modern tones. One is not better than the other. People may prefer one versus the other due to our likes and dislikes. My mentality is to try to listen to what I most likely believe I would hate the most. That way, If I never become a fan, I at least put it into my musical vocabulary.

Not all of Larry Graham's lines are slapped either. I have an early Sly and the Family Stone Cd and he mixes it up with Thank You For Lettin Me Be Myself as the memorable slap line with pop potential. I also have a Graham Central Station Greatest Hits which is his solo post Sly work. Sly did a few albums with a different bassist and his most memorable line on IF YOu Want Me To Stay is funky with a lick of slap here and there but mostly fingerstyle. The album STAND. I also have heard Fresh (Post Larry G.)

If you are narrowly focused essay wise, stick with Larry Graham as your main story. But, borrow or listen to Sly and the Family Stone prior to finishing your essay.

• Members

This book was an interesting read, if you can find it. It does go into a little about the beginning of electric slap bass, and the impact of it on the music.

The History of Funk

The funniest part I find is that in the intro, the author clearly states that the white man is devoid of funk, and then later on lists the Tower of Power as one of the funkiest bands out of the 70's.

As for upright stuff, check out what Milt Hinton was doing back in the 30's with Cab Calloway's band. I'm not sure if Jimmy Blanton did any slap stuff with Ellington, but Milt's was definitely above and beyond the "boom-chick" thing to what I'd definitely consider a pre-cursor to electric bass slapping.

Archived