I don't know why I bother posting in the guitard forums...

Derek5272

• CMS Author

Didn't you JUST buy this guitar? There needs to be at least a 30 day "getting to know you" period before you start making mods. That being said, a set of Duncan Lil '59s or JBs would do the trick nicely.

I have to question why someone buys a new guitar and then replaces the pickups. Why not just get something equipped the way you want it? At least you aren't playing the "will THIS new pickup sound better, or like {censored}e?" guessing game that occurs when you start doing this.

• Members

Yeah. Noiseless, at least. The neck pickup isn't really a problem for me, it sounds decent. But the bridge pickup just sounds... Cheap, I guess.

Drop an email to a user on HC 'Norcal Gitar'.. or somethin like that, his name is Bryan Gunsher, he runs 'BG Pickups', hand winds pickups, gives discounts to HC members, is a hella nice guy, winds whatever you want totally custom and his prices are amazingly cheap.

http://www.bg-pups.com

I'm not saying he is good for the price.. he is good PERIOD, I've had a bunch of pickups made by him..

• Members

I have to question why someone buys a new guitar and then replaces the pickups.
Why not just get something equipped the way you want it?
At least you aren't playing the "will THIS new pickup sound better, or like {censored}e?" guessing game that occurs when you start doing this.

Already said why. It was this guitar, or an American Thinline for at least $600 more. This + new pickups is still hundreds less than the other.

• Members

I have to question why someone buys a new guitar and then replaces the pickups. Why not just get something equipped the way you want it? At least you aren't playing the "will THIS new pickup sound better, or like {censored}e?" guessing game that occurs when you start doing this.

this can be very true. I do actually find that hardware changes (denser bridge, new nut, etc) tend to change the tone to what the user desires more than a pick up change.

Another trick is something I read in an interview with Eric Johnson. He basically removes all finish underneath pickguards, under the bridge, the neck pocket to help get a better wood to wood contact, and also to let the wood breath more. I did this to my Squier strat, and I have noticed a good bit more sustain and overall stronger sound.

• Members

hey man. I emailed our singer to see what he has in his jaguar. He gets a pretty nice sound out of pretty much any amp and he researched them a fair bit. Anyway, his reply is as follows:

"Neck: Seymour Duncan Little 59
Middle:Danelectro Lipstick Tube
Bridge: Seymour Duncan Hot Rails (White)
Little 59 emulates a Gibson 1959, a sought after tone
Lipstick Tube adds sweetness (strat like) or "dulls" the sound when all are on together
Seymour Duncan is a "hot" Gibson-esque pickup, performs well under distortion."

• CMS Author

Already said why. It was this guitar, or an American Thinline for at least $600 more. This + new pickups is still hundreds less than the other.

But with these models the price is a lot more than just pickups. Squier's have pretty hit-or-miss QC and the hardware isn't spectacular. The wood is different species (alder in yours, ash or mahogany in the MIA's), the QC of the blanks can be spotty, and the neck shape is different. The MIA bridge is a thru-body design.

If you want it to sound more like the MIA, have you considered buying the original Fender pickups from an MIA Thinline? I hope you can find something that works for you, and as I orginally wrote, I'm just questioning the logic of experimenting with the instument in a quest to save money.

• Members
But with these models the price is a lot more than just pickups. Squier's have pretty hit-or-miss QC and the hardware isn't spectacular. The wood is different species (alder in yours, ash or mahogany in the MIA's), the QC of the blanks can be spotty, and the neck shape is different. The MIA bridge is a thru-body design.

If you want it to sound more like the MIA, have you considered buying the original Fender pickups from an MIA Thinline? I hope you can find something that works for you, and as I orginally wrote, I'm just questioning the logic of experimenting with the instument in a quest to save money.

:confused: The VM has a C-shaped neck, just like the '72 thinline, and is string-through as well. I have no issues with an alder body. I know the hardware isn't that great, and it's on the list of things to eventually replace.

• Members
:confused:
The VM has a C-shaped neck, just like the '72 thinline, and is string-through as well. I have no issues with an alder body. I know the hardware isn't that great, and it's on the list of things to eventually replace.

Seriously man, just drop Bryan an email, I think I paid $60 last time for a completely custom wound humbucker with a polished Nickel cover.. I think on here he is 'norcal GIT-R'

• CMS Author

:confused:
The VM has a C-shaped neck, just like the '72 thinline, and is string-through as well. I have no issues with an alder body. I know the hardware isn't that great, and it's on the list of things to eventually replace.

I was looking at the MIA '69 Thinline neck, as the Squier lit states, "The classic '69 vibe...." and assume that's what they were trying for. At least it's got the string-through bridge, I'd missed that, so you really shouldn't have to replace the bridge at all.

One other aspect to keep in mind; no matter how much you add to a Squier, it's still a Squier and it probably won't be worth more as a resale, and mods can possibly make the instrument harder to sell, as folks aren't always going to trust that your work improved the instrument.

Archived