Best Rig-Pig for $10K

Thumper

• Members

Old Blue is going into the shop for an oil leak tomorrow. It's been slowly dripping for a decade, but has pissed out a liter of oil in a week/500 miles.

It's a Jeep Cherokee Sport 4 door/4WD/AT basic model, bought new in 1993. It's coming up on 198K. It's been an awesome rig, but if it's more than a grand to fix it, I'm replacing it. :cry:

We have ten grand set aside for unexpected expenses. I could pay more in cash for a new rig, but we're doing some long-overdue home improvements (exterior paint, gutters, new carpeting/hardwood floors). I'd rather put the money into the house.

So, what can I get for $10K? I don't need another SUV, as I have a 2002 Liberty. My criteria are reliability, good fuel economy, and hauling capacity, in that order.

What say you, HCBFers?

• Members

Old Blue is going into the shop for an oil leak tomorrow. It's been slowly dripping for a decade, but has pissed out a liter of oil in a week/500 miles.

It's a Jeep Cherokee Sport 4 door/4WD/AT basic model, bought new in 1993. It's coming up on 198K. It's been an awesome rig, but if it's more than a grand to fix it, I'm replacing it.
:cry:

We have ten grand set aside for unexpected expenses. I could pay more in cash for a new rig, but we're doing some long-overdue home improvements (exterior paint, gutters, new carpeting/hardwood floors). I'd rather put the money into the house.

So, what can I get for $10K? I don't need another SUV, as I have a 2002 Liberty. My criteria are reliability, good fuel economy, and hauling capacity, in that order.

What say you, HCBFers?

Stay away from the dodge caravans, mine is just a pig!! :rolleyes:

• Members

Toyota Sienna. We get about 22mpg. Reliable, and can haul just about anything, and the band if needed. Perhaps not the most fashionable suggestion, but I would bet the most pragmatic.

I immediately thought Scion, but probably can't get one for under $10K.

• Members

I'm gonna try get me one of these this year... it's an Opel Meriva, also sold in the UK as a Vauxhall and in LAM as a Chevrolet. I think they might be selling them in North America soon as Saturns? :confused:

Opel-Meriva.jpg

My Dad has a black one the same as this. Very nice! The load space is ridiculous for such a small car. You can fold down the back seats completely flat and have over 5ft of loading space. But the most awesomest thing is that you can fold down the front passengers seat flat also! :eek: and get almost 8ft in length of loading space.

The MPG is pretty sweet also, I think it averages at around 45 to 50MPG.

• Members

Volvo station wagon - official vehicle of nearly everyone else in PDX

You could get the car, add some stronger springs in the back, throw in some more performance/handling mods, and still have like $7k left.

Fold down the back seat & it could double as a mobile practice/gig space.

• Members

I'm gonna try get me one of these this year... it's an Opel Meriva, also sold in the UK as a Vauxhall and in LAM as a Chevrolet. I think they might be selling them in North America soon as Saturns?
:confused:

Opel-Meriva.jpg

My Dad has a black one the same as this. Very nice! The load space is ridiculous for such a small car. You can fold down the back seats completely flat and have over 5ft of loading space. But the most awesomest thing is that you can fold down the front passengers seat flat also!
:eek:
and get almost 8ft in length of loading space.

The MPG is pretty sweet also, I think it averages at around 45 to 50MPG.

That car looks a lot like the Honda Fit.

Honda_Fit_Sport_02.jpg

2007_Honda_Fit_ext_3.jpg

• Members

Those seem like great choices to me, too. I love Toyotas, but for these three cars, I'd probably put the Matrix at the bottom of the list. I haven't ridden in a Honda Fit, but I've been checking out a few lately owned by folks who park on the street in my neighborhood. Small cars with what appears to be a TON of usable interior space with the seats down. One thing I really like is the high roof for what appears to be great head clearance and comfy-factor in the driver's seat.

A friend of mine has the fit. They have crazy cargo room. Every seat (other than the driver's) folds flat. Drives really nicely and they are surprisingly comfortable to ride in as well.

Archived