Net Bailout Cost?

philthygeezer

• Members

One stab in the dark:

Seems like the net costs will be substantially lower than Chicken Little predicted.

The Bailout and the Economic Stimulus are two different things. What you posted is kind of like saying that the cost of a bass equals the $30 that you'd lay out for the strings. And, even during its inception, there existed the remote possibility that the govt could actually come out ahead with TARP.

• Moderators
I was thinking the Congressional Budget Office carried a bit more weight. I should have clipped the spurious MSNBC reference.

Technically, the bailout, if the gov would have stuck with the original plan, could have made a profit. I don't question that at all. $7.2 trillion mentioned in your article is significantly different than the $700 billion of the original TARP program. If that's what MSNBC wants to represent, have at it. We have a $2.9 Trillion budget for 2009 and even that has a huge deficit. How can one seriously think the US government can provide loans/guarantees in the amount of $7.2 trillion?

• Moderators

Technically, the bailout, if the gov would have stuck with the original plan, could have made a profit. I don't question that at all. $7.2 trillion mentioned in your article is significantly different than the $700 billion of the original TARP program. If that's what MSNBC wants to represent, have at it. We have a $2.9 Trillion budget for 2009 and even that has a huge deficit. How can one seriously think the US government can provide loans/guarantees in the amount of $7.2 trillion?

Isn't that the kind of leveraging that caused the problem in the first place? :lol:

• Members

If that's what MSNBC wants to represent, have at it. We have a $2.9 Trillion budget for 2009 and even that has a huge deficit. How can one seriously think the US government can provide loans/guarantees in the amount of $7.2 trillion?

Couldn't find the article but I seem to remember reading a few weeks back that a non-partisan Congressional budget committee projected that Obama's proposed budget would wind up adding $7.2tril to the debt, making the debt in 10 years (again after TARP and the Stimulus Package are figured into the equation), slightly over $19 Trillion. The debt currently stands at almost $11.2 Trillion. The same report said that the debt should go down significantly in a few years, but that it would then rocket right back up.

• Members

Couldn't find the article but I seem to remember reading a few weeks back that a non-partisan Congressional budget committee projected that Obama's proposed budget would wind up adding $7.2tril to the debt, making the debt in 10 years (again after TARP and the Stimulus Package are figured into the equation), slightly over $19 Trillion. The debt currently stands at almost $11.2 Trillion. The same report said that the debt should go down significantly in a few years, but that it would then rocket right back up.

I saw that one too.

I think it was the COA, Congressional Oversight Admin or something like that. It def was a ".gov" site though.

And that's if they stay on budget... ;)

• Moderators
So, ummm, whose LENDING money to the US government at this point?

The Chinese for one. Of course our government's bonds haven't been achieved junk status yet. When/if that happens our government will actually be forced to control itself.

• Members

The Chinese for one. Of course our government's bonds haven't been achieved junk status yet. When/if that happens our government will actually be forced to control itself.

Not so fast, keep in mind that the general public is lending money to the govt in the way of bonds too and we'll buy junk status bonds all day long! :thu:

Archived