I have joined a country band

Mermph

• Members

its a paying gig.

I've never been in a country band before. I have to keep it simple which is easier said than done. Maybe I will raise my action super high or buy a very uncomfortable bass to FORCE myself to play simpler.

• Members

Do what I did. Join a country band and then slowly morph them into the style that you'd rather be playing. Or at least, a style that you hate less. My guys started out as country and we still do a bit of it, but I've got a lot more rock in there than before. I may never get them playing Darkest Hour and Unearth, but I don't want to do that anyway -- nobody goes to bars to hear that {censored} but me.

• Members

I would love to be in an old-school/traditional country band.

Things have changed since you were here last, queer-bait.

We only promote outlaw 5 string country here in these parts! :cop::cop:

:wave:

• Members

You do just about have to have a five string to play comtemporary country. You'll also find that playing modern country is a lot like playing 70's and 80's rock. Just relax and hope that your drummer is on the ball, you'll probably find that you're going to have a better time than you anticipate. Besides, drunk chicks in country bars put out like a coke machine.

• Members

Originals!

Nice!

You'd be surprised at what you can get away with original stuff in country nowadays.

Play up to your level, tastefully, and only back down if they comment on it. More oft than not they'd like a nice run here and there! :thu:

• Members

Someone less lazy than I post a link to the threads so hi-flyer can go outlaw ramblin'... i am just to lazy to do it....
:facepalm:

Exactly.

But Thrustin' will be here soon I'm sure. He has teh nice linkies in his sig I do believe! :thu:

• Members

I just joined an original country band. Think of George Strait, Garth Brooks, Montgomery Gentry, Chris LeDoux, Randy Travis, Joe Diffie.

Long Live the Quarter Note!!!

I feel ya brosef... If that country band I was in didn't play at least half more uptempo/current stuff I wouldn't have even joined.

The 2nd half though, is what you mentioned above... Gd that was some boring {censored}.

Luckily my Q5 kicked major ass when I'd drop down for some B-string work on those quarters!!

• Members

You do just about have to have a five string to play comtemporary country. You'll also find that playing modern country is a lot like playing 70's and 80's rock. Just relax and hope that your drummer is on the ball, you'll probably find that you're going to have a better time than you anticipate. Besides, drunk chicks in country bars put out like a coke machine.

Just posting because I see where you're located. I grew up in Thomson; my folks still live there.

And on topic, I'm in a country band.

• Members

Just posting because I see where you're located. I grew up in Thomson; my folks still live there.

And on topic, I'm in a country band.

Chicago is a LONG way from Thomson! I guess they needed somebody with an authentic country feel to play bass up there!

• Members

It's extremely ironic that this phrase was used as I seriously thought to myself this very day that I hadn't heard that in a really long time.
:thu:

I caught "Dodgeball" the other day! :D

Rip Torn = mutha{censored}in' win

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Besides, drunk chicks in country bars put out like a coke machine.

PLayed first gig with the band, I could not believe how many hot girls there were. It was ridiculous! Far more than at a typical rock show, and cuter too.

Archived