Guitar stomp box for bass?

burdizzos

• Members

Here's my current rig:

pedalsrj4.jpg

The A out of the A/B Pedal goes straight to the Countryman. The B out goes to the Tremonti Wah and then to the M-80. Then the DIs from both go to the board.

Now, I really like the way this sounds, but I'd like a distortion tone that sounds better than the M-80's. I was thinking about getting another DI, like the EWI Active unit and then using a Distortion pedal designed for guitar for dirt. I really don't give a crap about low end response since I've got a clean bass feed straight to the board available.

I'd kind of like a recto type tone to really thicken things up when the guitarist goes off to play a solo.

Suggestions?

• Members

{censored} all of that.

I just want a distorted bass tone available to thicken things up. I can play the {censored} out of some chords.

I've already gone through the 12 string bass phase and the multi-input rig catastrophe phase.

If it can't fit in the pedal board pictured, then it is not an option.

• Members

On the M13 there's a patch for the Boss Mega Distortion or Ultra Distortion or something. The black one, I think.

It chugged pretty damn good, if you're looking for a soaked Recto sound.

• Members

{censored} all of that.

I just want a distorted bass tone available to thicken things up. I can play the {censored} out of some chords.

I've already gone through the 12 string bass phase and the multi-input rig catastrophe phase.

If it can't fit in the pedal board pictured, then it is not an option.

":p"

• Members

Since you're going to be sending your lows anyways, the Sans Amp GT-2 is great on bass. It's sucks lows like you wouldn't believe, but when you put them back in it's got a great tone...similar to what you describe.

It's got a California setting on it that supposed to mimic Mesa.

Check this video...he gives a decent rundown of it. To save time, skip to 1:37...then to 10:59

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPA015Gjyt4

I also really dig the Tone Bender he's got, but that thing is super pricey.

• Members

Interesting that 2 of the 3 suggestions I gave you are pedal suggestions.
;)

Fair enough.

I'm not enough of a gear snob to justify having a custom pedal built. I'm not even well informend enough to know what I'd want. Although it would be nice to get a magical pedal that had all of my crap in one tidy pacakge, but that would be cost prohibitive.

I have no desire to do the harmonizer thing, too expensive for no more often than I'd use it.

Hell, the only reason I'm really interested in changing anything is because I think my MXR is on the way out.

• Members

Since you're going to be sending your lows anyways, the Sans Amp GT-2 is great on bass. It's sucks lows like you wouldn't believe, but when you put them back in it's got a great tone...similar to what you describe.

It's got a California setting on it that supposed to mimic Mesa.

Check this video...he gives a decent rundown of it. To save time, skip to 1:37...then to 10:59

I also really dig the Tone Bender he's got, but that thing is super pricey.

That definitely on my short list. I'm also considering AMT's California Sound.

• Members

Yeah, I know you get it. These other tosssers with their bigger than a breadbox suggestions are hopeless.

:lol: You make me laugh....

Anyway, Have you tried a DS-1? They are cheap as chips so worth a go I suppose. I have used the Boss DF-2 in the past with bass, it uses the same distortion circuit as the Ds-1. It worked very well. Otherwise, maybe just a Boss bass overdrive?

• Members

:lol:
You make me laugh....

Anyway, Have you tried a DS-1? They are cheap as chips so worth a go I suppose. I have used the Boss DF-2 in the past with bass, it uses the same distortion circuit as the Ds-1. It worked very well. Otherwise, maybe just a Boss bass overdrive?

I'm defintely considering those, but I'd kind of like to get something different just for the sake of getting something different.

• Members

That definitely on my short list. I'm also considering AMT's California Sound.

The GT-2 is what I use with a blender pedal.

I've heard the AMT stuff before and I was intrigued. I dug it...

I've also got a Toneczar Openhaus that is the tits...but again, pricey and hard to get. I mainly use it for guitar, but I messed around with it on bass and I was impressed. A lot of people say it's a Dual Rec in a box...and I tend to agree. It's by far the best high gain distortion pedal I've ever used. It sounds like an amp...

• Moderators
Fair enough.

I'm not enough of a gear snob to justify having a custom pedal built. I'm not even well informend enough to know what I'd want. Although it would be nice to get a magical pedal that had all of my crap in one tidy pacakge, but that would be cost prohibitive.

I didn't say have a custom pedal built. What you don't like about the M-80 can probably be tweaked by a modder.

• Members

I didn't say have a custom pedal built. What you don't like about the M-80 can probably be tweaked by a modder.

I thought about that, but I don't even know what to ask for. The M-80 is one big circuit board, I don't know if it could be modded or if it would have to be reinvented. That would be ideal, though.

Is "make my M-80 sound like a Rectifier and put a better DI in it" a reasonable request?

• Members

I thought about that, but I don't even know what to ask for. The M-80 is one big circuit board, I don't know if it could be modded or if it would have to be reinvented. That would be ideal, though.

Is "make my M-80 sound like a Rectifier and put a better DI in it" a reasonable request?

Totally.

"Make my DS-1 sound like a 400+"

:lol:

I should go to sleep :freak:

• Members

I have the EWI 4 channel Active DI.

It sits in my PA amp rack.

It's a great unit for Keys but haven't tried it with bass yet.:thu:

I'll have to do that.

Especially since it might end up being my backup amp.:eek:

Archived