The History of Peavey Basses

• Members

anyone an expert on the history of peavey bass models? obviously the t-40 has replaced the mud shark in many people's mythology, but i am curious about the 70's-80's models and quality, etc. does the vaunted peavey expert exist? if so, care to write a lengthy post on old peavey's and their relative merits and market prices these days?

alot to ask i know, but i'll bet there is interest...

• Members

Not lengthy, but...

IMO, the Peavey Foundation is one of the best playing, most solidly built beginner to intermediate basses out there. The earlier ones, not the 90's and later models. I still have my '86 four banger and it still sounds and plays great. A real workhorse. I AB'ed it with a T-40 and honestly, I didn't get any tones out of the T-40 that impressed me any more than my Foundation-and I like the neck on the Foundation more.

No, it's not a 'ray or a G&L tone-wise, but it does sound pretty good. I'm always scratching my head when people ignore these basses and chase after stuff like SX or MIM Fenders. It's all good, though. Less demand keeps the price of the Peaveys lower, which is good for the Peavey lovers. ;)

• Members

IMO, the Peavey Foundation is one of the best playing, most solidly built beginner to intermediate basses out there. The earlier ones, not the 90's and later models. I still have my '86 four banger and it still sounds and plays great. A real workhorse.

:thu:

Peavey Foudations are real thumpers.

• Members

Hell, I would go as far as saying that even someone pro-level would appreciate one just for the reliability factor alone.

And I just noticed something.

You play a Peavey Foundation, just like me. Check.

You play a G&L just like me. Check. (I used to own a L-2500, now own a L-2000)

You play a Traben...just like I will very soon. Check.

• Members

This was my first Bass Guitar, I still have it with case and all. I had to work all summer for that Bass, and I swore i would never give it away. I will pass it to my son....eventually:thu:

• Members

This was my first Bass Guitar, I still have it with case and all. I had to work all summer for that Bass, and I swore i would never give it away. I will pass it to my son....eventually:thu:

That's the spirit! I would pass mine to my son if I ever had a kid, which looks doubtful at this point.

Also, the Cirrus models are awesome as well. I played a Cirrus 5 in a local store the other day. The fretboard was filthy, the pots were scratchy, the gold hardware was tarnishing, and the strings were old. But damn if it didn't still play and sound terrific. :thu:

• Members

Also, the Cirrus models are awesome as well. I played a Cirrus 5 in a local store the other day. The fretboard was filthy, the pots were scratchy, the gold hardware was tarnishing, and the strings were old. But damn if it didn't still play and sound terrific.

The old U.S.-made Millennium models were also quite good. I had a Cirrus 4 once. It was a very well-made bass, but I didn't really care for the "hi-fi" tone.

• Members

Pftt!! Peavey?! Who would own that junk??

until I bought my TL-5,

then I bought my other TL-5

then I got my TL-6

then I got another TL-6

then I got another TL-6

then I got a T-40

then I got an Axcelerator 6...

anybody getting rid of a Millennium 5? :lol:

• Members

Pftt!! Peavey?! Who would own that junk??

until I bought my TL-5,

then I bought my other TL-5

then I got my TL-6

then I got another TL-6

then I got another TL-6

then I got a T-40

then I got an Axcelerator 6...

anybody getting rid of a Millennium 5?
:lol:

I'm getting rid of my Millennium 5+ Tiger Eye...but I think I have a buyer. PM if you want to be 2nd in line.

As for Peavey basses, that was all our local store carried when I was growing up. Well, that and Gibson basses. The Peavey Dyna bass was really good IMO. I have smaller hands, so I always liked the narrow Peavey necks. They just fit my hands well. The Millennium is one of the best basses I've owned. I liked it better than the Cirrus. I now have a Peavey G Bass that I absolutely LOVE!! I had the Sarzo bass too that was great. Don't forget the B Quad bass. Honestly, I have not had a bad Peavey bass. I had a Milestone that had cheap electronics on it, but it was still a fun bass to play.

G Bass eye candy:

100_3697-1.jpg

• Members

A T-40 was my first REAL bass. There weren't many basses in that price range back then that was as nice and American made like the T-40. I also had a fretted and a fretless Foundation, a Foundation S, and a Patriot. I have a Fury out in the shop that I rebuilt and painted neon green for some goofy band project. I also have a Unity, which is made out of koa with a five piece neck made of koa and purple heart running through the body. I gutted it when I was on the road in Florida some years back and replaced the pups with Basslines. Whenever I played I usually got requests to leave my Fenders in the case because the Unity had such a sweet tone. I recently started playing it again because my five stringers are back breakers and I really appreciate the light weight. I'd get an American Millenium or a Cirrus in a heartbeat if I had the cash right now. I'm sure a lot of the appeal of Peavey basses for a lot of us was simply a case of a decent bass for the right amount of cash at the right time, but even though they aren't considered "A" list instruments for the most part, they really don't deserve the disdain that some gear snobs and many unenlightened souls heap on them.

• Members

I am sitting here playing a 1993 Forum Plus that I tossed some EMG 18v PJ pickups in right now. It was my first bass and still rocks. I am noticing some fretwear. But I take it to gigs and practice and people are like "zomfg fat" at some of the tone.

If they only knew....

• Members

I had an early(1981)80s T-40 and I thought the T-40 was the first Peavey bass offering.Based on the success of that bass they offered more models,and thats what got Peavey guitars,and basses going.I may be wrong though,after all ,it was the early eighties and they did follow the seventies!!!

• Members

That's the spirit! I would pass mine to my son if I ever had a kid, which looks doubtful at this point.

Yeah getting another dude pregnant is a bit hard these days... :p:D

I will own a T-40 (I promised myself that), but my other Peavey bass (Grind 5er) is pretty damn good for $350... and its heavy, but so is the t-40, so I guess I will just have back problems (aside from the weight of my moobs) :idk:

• Members

I had an early(1981)80s T-40 and I thought the T-40 was the first Peavey bass offering.Based on the success of that bass they offered more models,and thats what got Peavey guitars,and basses going.I may be wrong though,after all ,it was the early eighties and they did follow the seventies!!!

The T40 (and T60 guitar) was officially introduced in 78 and were Peavey's first instruments.

Archived