Question for Americans: Tintin?

• Members

Prompted by an article i read today, I was wondering about my fellow Americans knowledge of and appreciation of Tintin. I found these books when I was 8 or 9 and quickly devoured them. Eventually I realized I was in a minority of one amongst people I knew. Seems like perhaps that is really the story in the US, a very small group of cognoscenti, and then nothing. So, are you an American Tintin fan? Euros, chime in too. Why do you think Tintin failed to reach Americans the way it did Euros.

On a bass-related note: I often think of getting a Haddock stencil or painting or somehting on my blue MM knockoff. The thundering drunkard seems apropos for a bass.

• Members

How?

almost always surrounding Tintin in The Congo, and the portrayal of the kidnapped africans in Red Sea Sharks, sometimes also the financier in Shooting Star, and the Arabs in several.

Documents of a nastier time, but with much good besides

• Members

It's an amazing series of book. Of course as a little French dude I read all of them.

The most impressive part about them is that they still feel new. When I read them they were over 40 yo and I wouldn't have figured.

There would be a lot to hate about Tintin when it comes to stereotypes and racism. You just need to consider that it was written in Belgium by a white dude during colonial times. I think it's a fascinating display of the way our society worked back then.

Archived