Making the jump (plunge) to 15 String...

bassthumpintwin

• Members

I figure this will force me to play with a little bit more precision from the slightly tighter string spacing.

I also like the idea of twenty-two full octaves with only one shift - the traditional justification for the 15 string.

My fears...

My hands aren't 27 inches long, so I don't think my fingers can get around the neck.

I was also worried that I would spend the rest of my life trying to get the action and intonation right that it would take away from my playing...

More later. Thanks for listening.

15bass.jpg

• Members

Oh, I think that about a lot of these things. They're just silly, and I have yet to hear one that sounded even remotely good when playing the lowest of notes.

Probably because your speakers aren't designed to deal with the lower frequencies :thu:.

15 is a bit much though, I'm happy with 10-12 stringers (not doubled or tripled).

• Members

I'd hate to have to buy strings for that thing.

Take a close look at the pictures. You will see that it is strung with three 5-string sets - 3 B strings, 3 A strings, and so on.

Holy {censored}ing {censored}! What is the range of that thing?? It has the notes of a bass, guitar, and mandolin or somethin?

Uh, no, the lowest string is going to be about a .130, and you aren't going to get much below B before it just flaps. And the highest string is probably .045 or so, which you might be able to wind up as high as C, but I wouldn't try to stretch it any higher without keeping my body well away from snap range.

Now, if you're interested in both fatter strings (I've seen .195 for the low F#) and higher strings (I actually use a .007 string for my high D#), these are the extremes on the market. The total range of "useful" (low F# or even C# aren't very listenable) notes might be 6 octaves on a 24-fret neck. That gives you 10 strings tuned in fourths.

Archived