light weight old school bass amp

bassandgolf

• Members

Aren't the LMII's supposed to fit in here nicely?

Only 500W tho, so maybe it'll work for a girl band or sumpin'... :idk: :idk:

;)

• Members

Try to locate an old Sunn Coliseum Bass head. As I recall, mine didn't weight as much as other high powered amps of the era, and was quite capable of the tone you are seeking. IMO.

Those sound good too. Kathy from The Thermals used to play one the first couple times I saw them... Not sure if she still does, but it was rad.

• Members

I have a Shuttle 6.0. I tested both out extensively before I bought. The Shuttle can get somewhat vintagey... but the LMII has the edge in that department.

'Course, that's just my opinion.

"Smaller Gigs"?? It's 500 watts.
:idk:
What do you consider a "smaller gig" that you need 500 watts for?? And what cab(s) are you running?

Yeah, he must be a lot bigger than I. In my world, a smaller gig is what an Ampeg B100r(100W behind a 1x15) is for. :idk: An LMII would easily push a 2x15" or 8x10". Any more than that, and what are ya doin' here hangin' with us? :idk:

• Moderators

Yeah, he must be a lot bigger than I. In my world, a smaller gig is what an Ampeg B100r(100W behind a 1x15) is for.
An LMII would
easily
push a 2x15" or 8x10". Any more than that, and what are ya doin' here hangin' with us?

More speakers are generally more efficient, and require less power, not more.

• Members

I have a Shuttle 6.0. I tested both out extensively before I bought. The Shuttle can get somewhat vintagey... but the LMII has the edge in that department.

'Course, that's just my opinion.

"Smaller Gigs"?? It's 500 watts.
What do you consider a "smaller gig" that you need 500 watts for?? And what cab(s) are you running?

I run a Mesa 2X12 for the smallest and add a Mesa 4X10 for the next step up, I also have a Mesa 2X15 to throw in the mix.

• Members

And why do you require so much wattage for a "smaller gig"?

Let me define a "smaller gig" - a club with 200-300 folks or one with a house p.a. that I go direct

The MBII is fine for these gigs - I am looking for something to power all 3 cabs outdoors in lieu of my Mesa Bass 400+

• Members

QUOTE]

I am watching a demo of the Shuttle

on YouTube

Nice amp!

• Members

I am looking for something to power all 3 cabs outdoors in lieu of my Mesa Bass 400+

OK! That makes more sense now. :thu:

When I think "smaller gig", I think 100-150 people in a bar with crappy acoustics (i.e. bass frequencies just bounce around).

I've done very well with 100 watts in those places. ;) 'Course, with my style of music, I can get by with less than 300 watts (and no P.A. support) in most indoor venues.

• Members

And why do you require so much wattage for a "smaller gig"?

Clean headroom.

In my case, my LMII, running @ 8 ohms is pushing 300 watts into my Berg 1x12"...giving me plenty of clean headroom in case several more musicians join any acoustic jam I happen to be at.

Archived