How many pieces of gear $ each year?

UltramegaOK

• Members

Hanewinckel Custom 5-String bass - I've come to get a good idea of what tone I like, and I wanted a custom made to my ideal specs. Plus, I needed a 5-string.

Low Down Sound 210 w/ 2u rackspace - I want to downsize my cabs so they're easier to transport. I'll eventually sell my 410 and get another cab to complement the 210. The second cab would be used when necessary.

• Members

My recent amp purchases (V4B, EA) were motivated by opportunity in the case of the V4B and necessity in the case of the EA (the Ampeg didn't hold up on gigs). Before that, I'd had the same amp for about a year and a half.

After switching to 5 and then 6-string, I've been through 4 basses since October, if you count the Skjold I'm waiting on. That's mostly been a matter of finding something that I'm comfortable with, and the Skjold is it. Before that, I'd had the same basses for years.

• Members

Hanewinckel Custom 5-String bass - I've come to get a good idea of what tone I like, and I wanted a custom made to my ideal specs. Plus, I needed a 5-string.

Low Down Sound 210 w/ 2u rackspace - I want to downsize my cabs so they're easier to transport. I'll eventually sell my 410 and get another cab to complement the 210. The second cab would be used when necessary.

Yeah, I should have added "Needed to downsize or consolidate to better / lighter gear" as one of the polling options. Seems like a common enough reason for making changes.

• Members

Nowadays, I can't see a reason to even own a bass rig. Grab a good DI (something like a Countryman if you want it as clean as possible, or a Sansamp if you like a bit of preamp gain/distortion. Granted, the PA at the place you're playing would need to support the bass, but unless you're playing speakers-on-sticks that isn't a big issue.

If I were to do it all over again today, I'd spend my "bass rig" money on a wireless IEM system with custom molds and a SansAmp. Done.

• Members

Nowadays, I can't see a reason to even own a bass rig. Grab a good DI (something like a Countryman if you want it as clean as possible, or a Sansamp if you like a bit of preamp gain/distortion. Granted, the PA at the place you're playing would need to support the bass, but unless you're playing speakers-on-sticks that isn't a big issue.

If I were to do it all over again today, I'd spend my "bass rig" money on a wireless IEM system with custom molds and a SansAmp. Done.

I like me the sound of a mic'd cab, though. Never been a fan of most direct only bass through house PA set-ups.

Never tried one of these, but that Sansamp with a SPEAKER SIMULATOR is what Geddy's been using for dayz:

http://www.palmergear.com/recording_studio.shtml

• Members

1 major bass purchase a year (Cabinet, Bass, Amp) and maybe a few smaller ones (pedals mainly, pickups maybe).

Except 2 years ago when I bought the Thumb and the rig at once.

In fact, last year I didn't buy anything - other than a custom order.

• Moderators

When was the last time (how long ago) that you made a major change to your gear set-up and why?

The last major change would have been 3 years ago when I moved to lower powered tube heads. I did so once I learned to build and repair them.

• Members

...in the last 12 months...

...basses: Rob Allen lined fretless MB-2, Lakland Skyline HB, Gretsch Thunder Jet (just sold a Godin A4 SA)...

...amps: 400+(3), Ashdown Little Giant 1000 (sold an Ashdown pre not too long ago)...

...cabs: none, but will soon do two 1x15 1x8s from Don@LDS...

...pedals: haven't kept track, maybe 20, but have sold around 35, still have about 70 total...

...so guess I've parted company with ~$5000-5500...

Archived