How many pieces of gear $ each year?

UltramegaOK

• Members

On average, how many pieces of gear (basses, amps, cabinets, pedals) do you purchase in a year?

- not including picks, cables, straps, little stuff.

The poll: What's the main reason behind the purchases?

Follow-up question that you should reply to in the thread:

- When was the last time (how long ago) that you made a major change to your gear set-up and why?

• Members

On average, how many pieces of gear (basses, amps, cabinets, pedals) do you purchase in a year?

That depends. This year I bought a couple. Last year I didn't buy much. The year before that I bought a ton...

GAS

- When was the last time (how long ago) that you made a major change to your gear set-up and why?

I haven't made any major changes to my set up in awhile really. I've added basses here and there...and that's for different sounds. I just added a PJ to my bass stable...

• Members

I've spent more money on guitars than basses.

In the past 12 months I've bought an acoustic guitar ($450), a Peavey multi effects pedal ($80), and an SX bass ($120). That's actually a lot for me. My last purchase before this stuff was probably three years ago when I bought my Reverend Jetstream for $700. 5 years before that I bought my Yorkville combo ($350). 5 years before that I bought my Crate BX100 for $400, and 5 years before that I bought my bass and amp ($300 for both). I got my Rumblefish for building the second Reverend website about 8 or 10 years ago.

I generally buy out of necessity. The acoustic was because I wanted to start writing more mellow stuff and also learn how to fingerpick (still can't). The SX P was kind of a purchase just to have a P bass... Not real necessary, but I wanted one. The rest was out of necessity.

• Members

Most of my prior purchases were tone-quest and deals I couldn't pass up. However, my current rig situation is inspired by needing a solid backup rig and a rig I don't mind moving to clubs several times a month.

So I had to pare down a bit to afford getting all the stuff and portability I needed, and afford to get a second good quality bass, and so on. I'm now set I think. Doubt I will be making many gear changes since the band likes my sound as is, no reason to fiddle with it. Probably will start working on a nice wireless and in-ear monitors :)

Edit: In 3 years of playing I've probably invested in the neighborhood of 3-4k or so, and now I pretty much don't stick new money in. I tend to change basses every six months and amps and cabs around the same frequency, so far =P

• Members

I've spent more money on guitars than basses.

In the past 12 months I've bought an acoustic guitar ($450), a Peavey multi effects pedal ($80), and an SX bass ($120). That's actually a lot for me. My last purchase before this stuff was probably three years ago when I bought my Reverend Jetstream for $700. 5 years before that I bought my Yorkville combo ($350). 5 years before that I bought my Crate BX100 for $400, and 5 years before that I bought my bass and amp ($300 for both). I got my Rumblefish for building the second Reverend website about 8 or 10 years ago.

I generally buy out of necessity. The acoustic was because I wanted to start writing more mellow stuff and also learn how to fingerpick (still can't). The SX P was kind of a purchase just to have a P bass... Not real necessary, but I wanted one. The rest was out of necessity.

Cool. 5 year gaps is an awful long time between buys. Great discipline! Sounds like you keep your gear once it's bought.?

• Members

Cool. 5 year gaps is an awful long time between buys. Great discipline! Sounds like you keep your gear once it's bought.?

Yeah, I sold my first bass amp a couple weeks ago at a garage sale, sold my BX100 shortly after buying the Yorkville combo, and I've bought and sold a few pedals but otherwise I've kept my gear...

Oh, I bought a Squier 72 Tele Custom probably 3 years ago too ($200)... Butchered it & now it sits in a a gig bag, unplayable. :(

• Members

Yeah, I personally have not made any changes to my bass gear in about 4 years, other than buying one pedal which I really bought for guitar but use for bass now and again. I love my gear and tone.

I have bought other stuff within the last year or two...drums, guitar and recording gear...inspired purchases at different times for every other reason in the poll.

Most recently, I bought a Peavey Vypyr 30 knowing I wanted a low wattage guitar amp capable of some clean tone options for recording...also an influence in this purchase, I had received a $15 GC gift card with a 15% off coupon for the Memorial Day Sale.

• Members

- not including picks, cables, straps, little stuff.

Follow-up question that you should reply to in the thread:

I think I typically average a couple hundred a year for gear purchases.

The last thing I bought was my Moogerfooger Freqbox with 2 expression pedals. That was around $400. I think it was the last thing I bought for my rig since my wah pedal last year. I don't see myself ordering anything again this year.

I want to expand my pedalboard to where I can perform solo, but the trick is that I want it simple. :facepalm:

I'm quite content with the current rig I own, bought a few years back...as well as my Stingray basses bought several years back.

• Members

I prolly spend between $1000-$1500 yr, with accessories and such figured in. Basically an instrument, or an amplifier each year. I usually trade or CL stuff, so I don't lose a whole lot of money, and that same $1000 more or less keeps getting recycled every year :)

• Members

I probably spend 3-5k per year. Sometimes bass stuff, sometimes PA/lights, sometimes drums. If I see a deal and can envision a use for it, I will snatch it up. Otherwise, I work toward a plan. (mostly PA and lights in the plan)

• Members

Just bass stuff? In the last year ... lemme think. I picked up a Stingray 4-string, and I think I've had the Aerodyne Jazz (which is actually a PJ in a Jazz body) less than a year.

Now, if we're going to start including other gear, it's going to be a long list. :)

I picked up a Fender Highway 1 Tele to match the Strat I already had. Great instruments.

Several new microphones and preamps (including a Neve Portico mic preamp which I just got recently). Some new studio monitors. An Orange "Tiny Terror" guitar amp and Avatar 2x12 cab. A new power amp for the PA (which right now is being used with the small practice-room PA).

I spent WAY too much money on gear last year.

• Members

I very rarely make gear purchases, especially from regular retail stores. All my purchases are PA related and there's no reason to go to Guitar Center or anything because they don't carry any of the {censored} I use. Go hit up the Pro Audio counter and ask them for a 100' 4-wire Speakon cable.

I went to the biggest local place here that isn't Guitar Center and asked them if they recone Meyer speakers or can order a replacement, and they told me they've never heard of Meyer, must be some off-brand or a home audio speaker and they don't do those... but they'd sell me a "real" PA cabinet if I wanted one though.

EDIT: That said, my gear purchases tend to cost a lot when I do them, ha. My total gear purchases for 2008 came to $3,422.32. That includes anything music related -- sticks (I play drums primarily), heads, lights, etc. I'm quite comfortable with that number, since my gig income was $12,219.00. I figure ~25% expense-to-income ratio is a pretty good number, and I try to keep it at that or lower.

• Members

I very rarely make gear purchases, especially from regular retail stores. All my purchases are PA related and there's no reason to go to Guitar Center or anything because they don't carry any of the {censored} I use. Go hit up the Pro Audio counter and ask them for a 100' 4-wire Speakon cable.

I went to the biggest local place here that isn't Guitar Center and asked them if they recone Meyer speakers or can order a replacement, and they told me they've never heard of Meyer, must be some off-brand or a home audio speaker and they don't do those... but they'd sell me a "real" PA cabinet if I wanted one though.

EDIT: That said, my gear purchases tend to cost a lot when I do them, ha. My total gear purchases for 2008 came to $3,422.32. That includes anything music related -- sticks (I play drums primarily), heads, lights, etc. I'm quite comfortable with that number, since my gig income was $12,219.00. I figure ~25% expense-to-income ratio is a pretty good number, and I try to keep it at that or lower.

Does anybody recone Meyer? I thought they kept the pulp their cones were made out of so re-cones would be consistant.

• Members

Does anybody recone Meyer? I thought they kept the pulp their cones were made out of so re-cones would be consistant.

Not "really". There are 1-2 places online I've found that say they'll do it. So far I haven't needed to, because I replaced and sold the busted drivers from that sub. I do have another USW that I need to get up and running, but I don't know if the drivers in that are at the point where they can be reconed or if I'm looking at replacements there, too.

This year I've only spent $157 so far. That's a great feeling, and it's what happens when you buy quality {censored} that doesn't need to constantly be upgraded/replaced. My only major expenses for this year will be getting replacement drivers for one of my subs (I bought it used and the speakers were blown), replacing the connector on it with an NL4 Speakon, another 25' Speakon cable, and some drum heads and sticks when they go on sale again.

• Members

Right on, everyone. It'd interesting to see the responses, especially how many peeps are still searching for THAT special tone.

Also, it's cool to see how many others play more than one instrument and also gear-up for PA, recording, lights, etc. Dedication to playing live! Not just a bunch of bedroom players (although there's nothing wrong with that).

• Members

Pretty much 1 or 2 a year, and either I found a good deal, or its something I have wanted and convinced myself to not be cheap-ass for once.

Within the past 12 months, I have bought quite a bit including a GME Trem, BBE Two Timer, M-Audio 25 key Keyboard, Peavey T-40 (Should be here Friday :D) That totals about $550

Archived