Looking For An Economical Bass

Relayer71

• Members

Been playing guitar on and off for years and recently been itching to play bass. Actually played one for a couple of years back in the 90s so not a complete beginner but still don't consider myself a bassist.

Surprised at how much prices have gone up (been out of the loop for a while). Seems the standard Fenders cost almost as much as the American Standards did last time I checked!

$600 is a bit pricey considering I'm not in a band or gigging atm not to mention everytime I get one of these "itches" my wife has a fit (my fault really, I keep buying stuff I hardly use, lol).

My question: Are Squiers decent basses??? From what I've read recently seems like the quality is much better on Fender's Squier line for both guitars and basses than it used to be.

Being a Tele guy, I sort of had my eye on this one...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Precision-Bass-TB-519758-i1276125.gc

But also this Jazz Bass...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Jazz-Bass-103726584-i1166457.gc

Any of you real bassists have any experience with these? I've always stayed away from budget guitars and the Bass I previously had was an American made P-Bass. I know on Teles/Strats I used to be able to FEEL the difference between the American made and the Made In Mexico/Japan.

Not too worried about phenomenal sound at this price, I can always replace the pickups later, I know they tend to go cheap with electronics at these prices. Just worried about how they feel overall, intonation, stability. I could go to a store and try one out but not the same as owning one so if anyone has one, please comment.

And is Agathis a good tone wood? Don't think I've heard of this wood before for a guitar either.

So should I pick one of these up? Or wait a bit and spend twice as much for a standard Fender? Also, what about other brands? I did see a few Ibanez, Ephiphone and Peavey basses in this price range (around $300).

Thanks!

• Members

If I go and blindly grab a $400 Squier, I'll get sharp fret ends, bad tuners, a bridge that's hard to intonate and less than stellar tone.

If I go and blindly grab a $400 Ibanez, I might get mildly sharp fret ends, good tuners, a good bridge but will check the saddles for burrs anyway, and average-to-good tone. Plus, a very comfy, thin neck.

And if I go looking for a used Ibanez around $400 that hasn't been abused, I'll get a good-to-very-good bass.

• Members

The Squier basses are good value for the money. I bought a VM Jazz for my nephew for his 13th birthday a year ago. I did some basic set-up (truss rod adjustment, bridge intonation, pup height) and it made a world of difference.

As for Ibanez and Yamaha, they're good basses, too. I've never cared for them, but that's personal preference.

• Members

Squires are decent, though I'd recommend playing them all first. The VM series, as stated before, gets great reviews as a "good bang for the buck" bass.

That being said, there are PLENTY of other "bang for the buck" basses that are easily as good, if not better, for the money you'll spend on them.

I personally own some Ibanez basses, and can't complain about those too much. Schecter also makes some good basses for low prices.

SX by Rondo gets good reviews, though I've no experience with them.

Yammys aren't bad basses either.

Danelectro makes a low cost bass that get's great reviews too. I think they were recently on closeout though. You might still find one for under 200 bucks.

• Members

I have owned both those basses. Sold the jazz, now selling my VM. Better basses are the Squier Affinity series and Yamaha RBX series. I play these over my Mexi basses. Once in a while I use my Squier Japanese P from the 80s.

• Members

If I go and blindly grab a $400 Squier, I'll get sharp fret ends, bad tuners, a bridge that's hard to intonate and less than stellar tone.

If I go and blindly grab a $400 Ibanez, I might get mildly sharp fret ends, good tuners, a good bridge but will check the saddles for burrs anyway, and average-to-good tone. Plus, a very comfy, thin neck.

And if I go looking for a used Ibanez around $400 that hasn't been abused, I'll get a good-to-very-good bass.

If Bryan does that, he's a very smart man.

• Members

I got my black Ibby SR-305 off eBay for $300. It was my main stage bass for 6 good years or so. It's now my backup at every gig. My new A bass is... an Ibanez Prestige SR1005, basically the same bass in feel and playability, but with a thru-neck design for muuuuch better sustain, Bartolini pickups and preamp, the sweepable mid tone control, better inlays and heavier maple body for thick yummy tone.

Get that cheap-o Ibanez, and get comfy on it. Once you're ready to invest in a better version of that bass, look at their Prestige basses knowing it'll be just as comfy with so many upgrades and improvements.

I'm not smart. Just ask Zeromus-X about my $3000 rig. Heh heh...

• Members

Thanks for all the replies.

After some more research, think I'm going to go with this one:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-BB414-4-String-Bass-519164-i1150453.gc

Love the way it looks (does the world really need another P or J bassist???) :)

From what I've read looks like plays well too, we'll see.

Looks awesome in Wine Red too.

Archived