Alvarez 5 string bass....opinions?

killersoundz

• Members

http://guitarfitters.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/webassets/alvbassf.JPG

They've got this bass at the local pawn shop for $209. Same one as in that picture. I don't believe it has active pickups (I REALLY WANT ACTIVE PICKUPS) but for $209 it seems like a good deal. What do you guys think? I don't really play bass I just want one to record bass tracks for my own stuff with and to possibly have a decent bass on hand as a backup for recording.

• Members

Hmm..... It's been a while since I picked up an Alvarez 5er... (or any of their basses/guitars for that matter).

They do make some pretty decent acoustics IME.

209 seems like a pretty good deal if the bass is in good shape/working order.

I'd check the tightness of the B string. As you say, I don't think they have active electronics either.

See if you can plug it in and try it out... you might like it, you might not.

Other than that, it looks like a decent bass. Best bang for the buck at 209? Hard to say.

• Members

It should stay in the pawn shop.

These are horrible instruments. Loose bolt-on necks, horrible tuners, bad glue lines between the neck and fretboard, easily-chipped finishes... not to mention tone worthy of a fart joke.

• Members

Good call guys, the neck was awful after I went back and played it a bit.

I walked out with this:

deadroom1547.jpg

deadroom1550.jpg

deadroom1548.jpg

HOLY SHIT!!! It's my samick! Well, not the exact one (unless you flew to Orange Park, FL to get it ) but an exact replica of the one I had.

That is a great bass, man. Don't ever let anyone tell you any differently.

And congrats!

And here I was going to reply that I owned an Alvarez AEB5BC fiver some years ago. I didn't keep it long....

• Members

HOLY {censored}!!! It's my samick! Well, not the exact one (unless you flew to Orange Park, FL to get it ) but an exact replica of the one I had.

That is a great bass, man. Don't ever let anyone tell you any differently.

And congrats!

And here I was going to reply that I owned an Alvarez AEB5BC fiver some years ago. I didn't keep it long....

Yeah I like that bass a lot. Who knows how long I'll keep it, I buy and sell gear like its my job. The neck on that thing is AMAZING, very thin and fast. Got it for $350 total which I think is a decent price for a 5 string with active pickups and a great neck and fret job.

Do you know the model number by any chance, I have no indea.

• Members

Alvarez basses are a crapshoot, there are good ones and bad ones. I happened to land a really good Alvarez six shooter, plays and sounds great. That glue joint between the neck and headstock makes me nervous though, and those tops are "photo-flames" not a real finish.

• Members

We have that very model of Alvarez 5-string at my church. It's a decent enough bass, but the output on the B-string is far lower in volume than all the other strings. I have tried EVERYTHING I can to fix it, but there is just nothing that can be done to resolve the issue. I personally don't like playing it, and only play it when I can't use my own bass for whatever reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

We have that very model of Alvarez 5-string at my church. It's a decent enough bass, but the output on the B-string is far lower in volume than all the other strings. I have tried EVERYTHING I can to fix it, but there is just nothing that can be done to resolve the issue. I personally don't like playing it, and only play it when I can't use my own bass for whatever reason.

My Alvarez has a really great low B which is HARD to find.

I got lucky, but they are a crapshoot.

Archived