My New BFR StingRay 5!

MingusBass

• Members

I unexpectedly purchased this bass late last week. I got such a great deal that I couldn't resist! Well it showed up yesterday and I took some quick pictures on my back deck.

Full disclosure, I'm a huge Ernie Ball Music Man fan and while all of my other basses are great, I think I may have found my new number one. :)

Just for clarification, it's a StingRay 5 in Cabernet Pearl with an all rosewood neck. That's what makes it a Ball Family Reserve instrument. The pics do not do the finish justice, but I think you guys will get the idea.

HPIM0941.jpg

HPIM0948.jpg

HPIM0946.jpg

HPIM0943.jpg

HPIM0942.jpg

HPIM0944.jpg

HPIM0953.jpg

• Members

Nice, I loves me some SR5's
:love:

I heard the mahogany tone block in the BFR's is an awesome feature too
:thu:

This particular BFR does not have the mahogany tone block. You're thinking of the 20th Anniversary SR5 and it's BFR cousins that came in a couple different colors. This is a normal Ray 5 other than the all rosewood neck. There was a month long window where you could special order any EBMM bass, with the exception of the Bongo 6, with an all rosewood neck.

The best part of the story is that I picked it up for $1175! Turns out another customer special ordered the bass, put down a hefty deposit and then couldn't come up with the rest of the dough when it arrived at the shop several months later. The dealer was forced to find another buyer. That's where I come in, he only charged me for the difference. I've seen basses very similar go for over $2,000.

• Members

The best part of the story is that I picked it up for $1175! Turns out another customer special ordered the bass, put down a hefty deposit and then couldn't come up with the rest of the dough when it arrived at the shop several months later. The dealer was forced to find another buyer. That's where I come in, he only charged me for the difference. I've seen basses very similar go for over $2,000.

Poor dude

• Members

How does the all rosewood neck change its sound compared to a regular SR5 HS?

This the only HS I've spent more than a half hour with and I believe the other one had ceramic magnets. I'd say it's a bit tighter sounding in the low end and more punchy if anything. What I love most is how resonate the bass is. It definitely sustains longer than my HH Ray 5. I also like the tonal options better on this new bass. On my HH, I'll pretty much keep it in position 3(All Coils on) or in Position 1(Back Humbucker) but I really like each of the settings on the HS. Position 5(Single Coil only) does a surprisingly good P bass impression.

• Members

This the only HS I've spent more than a half hour with and I believe the other one had ceramic magnets. I'd say it's a bit tighter sounding in the low end and more punchy if anything. What I love most is how resonate the bass is. It definitely sustains longer than my HH Ray 5. I also like the tonal options better on this new bass. On my HH, I'll pretty much keep it in position 3(All Coils on) or in Position 1(Back Humbucker) but I really like each of the settings on the HS. Position 5(Single Coil only) does a surprisingly good P bass impression.

Sounds like an awesome setup. Nice deal too! Maybe you should find out who the other guy is so you can thank him for partially paying for your bass! ;)

• Members

My favorite on my 20th SR5 HS has to be position 4 (2nd from neck) where the bridge & neck single coils are both active. Something about this setup does it for me.

Archived