Playing with a Pick

Hotblack

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a hard time with dampening strings. First i'm kinda short so my t-rex arms don't allow me to palm mute close to the bridge ( i'd have to wear my bass directly under my chin to pull that off) and secondly , I haven't practiced with a pick enough to effectivley mute with my frethand. I'll keep at it though from time to time because you never know when pickstyle might be a benefit for one reason or another.

• Members

Use heavy gauge pick. If your haveing problems learning to use pick, ask guitar player for help. Also try useing either of the two blunted sides rather then the single pointy end. I like useing them for both guitar and bass. Better control, dynamics, sound tweak, and playing ability for me.

• Members

When I first started learning bass, I was a big Roger Waters fan, so I immediately started with a pick. Eventually I played more classic rock and country and the "feel" required fingerstyle.

Anyways, what I find difficult now is playing pick on a 5 string. That dang B string always requires muting when not being played.

Anybody have any picking/muting strategies?

• Members

I'm more accustomed to using a pick, but I am "guitarded." I'm no where near as good at fingerstyle, but I just need to practice more.

I think using a pick gives the bass a "heavier" sound, which is important to me, I don't play metal per se, but I like a huge deep sounding bass, and I also play a lot of chords so there's a method to my madness.

• Members

It's just completely alien. I'm sure I'll get better in time, but man...it's just weird right now.

Yes it is. I have been finger playing since I started (1979) tried a pic once or twice and just didnt like it.

A few months ago I took some lessons from a dude who said this one needs to be played with a pick.

So I tried it and he was like you play better with a pick. after a few weeks I was playing everything with a pick, even songs that I thought I couldnt that I have been playing for 20 damn years.

I am actually really enjoying it now and think it sounds better

• Members

Thanks for the suggestion.

Thin picks seem to be working the best. I bought an assortment to see what would be most comfortable.

I got these when I bought my Les Paul a few years ago. I use the medium or Heavy

http://www.ceciliasmusic.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GG73M

I have a few of these also

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-475R-Big-Stubby-Picks?sku=110096#new

• Members

Personally, I hold the pick at a 5 degree off angle from the string, with medium attack, and use heavy picks (dunlop Tortex 1.14mm are made for this {censored}). The 'zing' comes from the lack of flex in the pick.

:)I tend to use a Fender Xtra Heavy for normal stuff and a medium for a "Clicky" sound.

• Members

:)I tend to use a Fender Xtra Heavy for normal stuff and a medium for a "Clicky" sound.

See, I play punk and fast metal stuff primarily and medium picks flex too much for me to get much speed out of them. The less squash a pick has, the better for me. Gives me impact to my tone, and if I do a muted strum (say I'm hitting a 5th interval at the octave E on the A string) it really brings out the click of the muted strings.

• Members

Just remember to hold your pick as parallel to the strings as possible and you'll be fine. It may be 'easier' to hold it at an angle but you lose about half your sound in pick scrape.

...and this is much easier to accomplish when you're not wearing your bass down around your knees.

• Members

I wound up working some pick into my show last night and I surprised myself. I recommend learning to use one for anyone. I stick a mute under my bridge and the sound is pretty funky. I started off very anti pick but seeing Phil Lesh a couple years ago kinda lit a spark. I would never go to the other side full time but it's nice to have that option. I am actually kinda pissed I ignored it for so long. A little practice with it here and there was all it took. Just another arrow in the quiver.

Archived