Playing with a Pick

Hotblack

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm have trouble too. I've read you're supposed to make a fist and stick it in between your thumb and index, but I can't play without making a weird angle with my wrist. I'm much more comfortable holding it with the tips of the index, middle and thumb. Maybe you could try this?

• Members

You'll definitely have to learn to do some things differently, but after spending little time getting accustomed to it it's not so bad.

Oddly enough, what took me the longest is just getting an even attack on both up/down strokes. You would think that would be one of the simpler things to learn, but I'm still ironing out my technique.

• Members

I'm have trouble too. I've read you're supposed to make a fist and stick it in between your thumb and index, but I can't play without making a weird angle with my wrist. I'm much more comfortable holding it with the tips of the index, middle and thumb. Maybe you could try this?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Thin picks seem to be working the best. I bought an assortment to see what would be most comfortable.

• Members

Oddly enough, what took me the longest is just getting an even attack on both up/down strokes. You would think that would be one of the simpler things to learn, but I'm still ironing out my technique.

Surprisingly, that's not too bad for me. Moving from string to string is really weird. Right now, I'm just running scales and exercises to get accustomed to the movement.

• Members

I used to get huge massive cramps, but after a while of just playing with a pick, I got past all of it. I guess I'm about a meduim skill pick player. I don't "make a fist". That's crazy. If it works, I guess. I pinch the pick between my thumb and first knuckle of my index finger.

• Members

I have been practicing with pick lately and slowly working it in to performance. It's funny...I started off shunning it completely and then trying to do it just for that reason. I gave up and it became an afterthought but I started using one on the fly at rehearsals and it worked it's way into my home practice. It got fun once I incorporated palm muting and foam under the bridge. I most recently had my P-bass strung with Tru-Bass Roto's and that {censored} was fun! ( Had to kill the Roto's though...if I had a second P-bass,

it would for sure be strung with those...wanna trade for some barely used Tru's?) But I digress..., palm/muting is key I think when rockin' with a pick.

• Members

Just remember to hold your pick as parallel to the strings as possible and you'll be fine. It may be 'easier' to hold it at an angle but you lose about half your sound in pick scrape.

oh damn. I do that :facepalm:

• Members

Just remember to hold your pick as parallel to the strings as possible and you'll be fine. It may be 'easier' to hold it at an angle but you lose about half your sound in pick scrape.

I always pick about 45 degree angle, I love that scrape sound, I pick hard enough the fundamental is still there though.

• Members

The best thing to do is just practice, practice, practice...as with any technique.

Once you find the right pick, it'll feel much better for you. I can only play with certain picks...and they have to be small. I've been using Dunlop Jazz III's for years and years, and they are the only ones that feel "right" to me. IME, I get much more control out of a smaller pick.

It's almost impossible for me to play with a large pick, I choke up on them so much that it really doesn't make sense anyways. I'd say maybe 1/16" - 1/8" max is all the sticks out from my fingers.

• Members

I find a heavy pick works better, i used a 1.0mm Dunlap nylon pick. It's all in the wrist, not the arm, and do you best to keep a consistant pattern of up and down, unless its musically sounds better to stick to up or down stokes.

Maybe it's time to sling you bass down to your knees ;) That should help your technique.

• Members

The best thing to do is just practice, practice, practice...as with any technique.

Once you find the right pick, it'll feel much better for you. I can only play with certain picks...and they have to be small. I've been using Dunlop Jazz III's for years and years, and they are the only ones that feel "right" to me. IME, I get much more control out of a smaller pick.

It's almost impossible for me to play with a large pick, I choke up on them so much that it really doesn't make sense anyways. I'd say maybe 1/16" - 1/8" max is all the sticks out from my fingers.

I'm the exact opposite, I use the Light Blue Triangle picks, I think they are 1mm.

• Members

Lower your strap. Use your arm and wrist in a sweeping motion (Youtube The Ramones). For all the advice everyone gives that it's bad for your fretting hand and wrist, I've always found that having the bass (or guitar) up high is aweful on my picking hand, wrist, and elbow.

Just an idea.

*Puts on flame suit.*

:thu:

Archived