Playing through an amp is fun!!

Thunderbroom

• Members

Overall, my bandmates can't seem to get the hang of the IEM's. With seven people, getting everyone completely onboard is a challenge. We've decided, unless we need them for a gig (bar gig on 7/25), we going to go old school until we can schedule a day to get together and work the kinks out.

As such, I've been rocking the GB rig lately: GBE-600 & GB 212 Neo. I'm reminded why I bought this setup to begin with and why I'll likely never part with it. We played a huge stage last night and the volume never got past 9 o'clock.

• Members

ahahahaha. I was wondering when you would come back
:lol:

It's temporary.

I've got my IEM's dialed in but some of my bandmates just can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm a team player and instead of forcing my will, I'll assist them in seeing the light.

;)

• Members

It's temporary.

I've got my IEM's dialed in but some of my bandmates just can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm a team player and instead of forcing my will, I'll assist them in seeing the light.

;)

I swing both ways. I like the critical, naked aspect of the IEM's. (notice every flaw, note etc.) but I still enjoy playing on a loud stage. I think I have a bit more energy with amps/monitors, but sound better with IEM's. One of the biggest plusses with IEM's for me, is space, and speed in set-up/strike.

• Members

I swing both ways. I like the critical, naked aspect of the IEM's. (notice every flaw, note etc.) but I still enjoy playing on a loud stage. I think I have a bit more energy with amps/monitors, but sound better with IEM's. One of the biggest plusses with IEM's for me, is space, and speed in set-up/strike.

This is interesting. Like gspointer I "swing both ways" - meaning I can definately appreciate the pluses of both options. I love using IEMs, and I love playing/hearing in live air space. I'm fine with either option (provided it's done right). And I'm also keenly aware of the downsides and problems of either method.

But, like Tbroom, when it comes down to it I prefer IEMs most of the time. And I'm also a "team player" and find myself a bit at the mercy of the group as to which way to go. In my current band (only one at the moment) we all use and prefer IEMs - which I'm happy about. I had a second band a while back that had two guys that really resisted IEMs though, and in the end (after much work/expense/tweaking) we ended up abandoning the concept and going back to wedges because of it. Actually there were two of us that preferred IEMS, and one that resisted, and one that was mostly indifferent but followed the lead of the guy who didn't like them. And the guy that resisted ended up getting his way.

It really is a group thing though. You might think that the solution is that each individual uses whatever system that works for them. But this cause a LOT more work/hassle/etc. If you are going to go IEM, it's really a matter of the whole band being on board and being comfortable with them. Half ass approaches don't seem to work.

Anywho - Tbroom, I hope your mates come along and get with the program. Til then, have fun rocking that amp, and enjoy having your ears free to "swing in the breeze"!

• Members

I'd always rather put music out into the air. IEMs are like wearing cans in the studio, sure you can do it and it works...but I
really
enjoy getting an amp to sound "just right" and dynamic of people playing in a particular space.

+1... although I can make them work, I don't like the "disconnected" feeling from the crowd and my bandmates I get from using IEMs... I also like the freedom to hear different mixes as I move to different spots while playing...

Lastly, one of the things I like most about playing bass is actually feeling my bass rig, and enjoying how good it sounds - that'll never happen with IEMs...

I totally can see why drummers like them - and singers, too - but they're not for me... As Bob brought up, I don't like using cans for recording, either - but I've always been able to make that work, too...

As always, to each their own...

- georgestrings

• Members

Lastly, one of the things I like most about playing bass is actually feeling my bass rig, and enjoying how good it sounds -
that'll never happen with IEMs

not strictly true.

I still use an amp when I'm wearing IEMs - so I definately still feel it. I have tried going completely ampless and didn't like it. The feel IS important. But with IEMs I can also HEAR everything I want crystal clear (and at lower volumes) - especially my vocals. I know for a fact that I can play better, and I absolutely can sing better with the IEMs. One thing a lot of bassists are guilty of is filling up too much sonic space, playing too many notes. With IEMs I tend to play cleaner and sparser and to leave more space. Also, while it's true that I'm somewhat disconnected from the room and the audience, I feel that I'm actually MORE connected with my bandmates in some ways.

But yes, there is still something lost that has to do with the space and the feel of the room. IEMs are NOT perfect and are certainly not the way. And, like Tbroom, every once in a while I do a gig without them and find part of myself thinking, "this is kinda cool"

Basically, if I'm playing originals and/or really rocking out - I'd mostly rather use wedges and to "be" in the same space as my audience. Back in my punk rock days, hell we never even used monitors at all and that had a charm all it's own. But in cover bands, where I'm basically providing straight up "entertainment" and it's all about efficiency and professionalism, I vastly prefer IEMs.

But, like you said, "to each his own" - it's all cool. The problem that's come up in this thread is that "each" really means each whole band, as opposed to each individual within any given band. Mixed approaches (wherein some members use IEMs and some use wedges) are too problematic to work well.

• Members

I'd always rather put music out into the air. IEMs are like wearing cans in the studio, sure you can do it and it works...but I
really
enjoy getting an amp to sound "just right" and dynamic of people playing in a particular space.

This.

• Members

not strictly true.

I still use an amp when I'm wearing IEMs - so I definately still
feel
it. I have tried going completely ampless and didn't like it. The feel IS important. But with IEMs I can also HEAR everything I want crystal clear (and at lower volumes) - especially my vocals. I know for a fact that I can play better, and I absolutely can sing better with the IEMs. One thing a lot of bassists are guilty of is filling up too much sonic space, playing too many notes. With IEMs I tend to play cleaner and sparser and to leave more space. Also, while it's true that I'm somewhat disconnected from the room and the audience, I feel that I'm actually MORE connected with my bandmates in some ways.

But yes, there is still something lost that has to do with the space and the feel of the room. IEMs are NOT perfect and are certainly not
the
way. And, like Tbroom, every once in a while I do a gig without them and find part of myself thinking, "this is kinda cool"

Basically, if I'm playing originals and/or really rocking out - I'd mostly rather use wedges and to "be" in the same space as my audience. Back in my punk rock days, hell we never even used monitors at all and that had a charm all it's own. But in cover bands, where I'm basically providing straight up "entertainment" and it's all about efficiency and professionalism, I vastly prefer IEMs.

But, like you said, "to each his own" - it's all cool. The problem that's come up in this thread is that "each" really means each
whole band
, as opposed to each individual within any given band. Mixed approaches (wherein some members use IEMs and some use wedges) are too problematic to work well.

I dunno, bud - if you're not hearing well enough to sing well, I'd say that's more a problem of your stage mix than it is amps/wedges vs IEMs... In my band, we match volumes with the drummer - and each of us has a 15+horn wedge powered by 300 watts - and none of us have a problem hearing our vocals over the backline... My band is drums, bass, 1 guitar, and 3 vocalists: the drummer gets his own IEM mix, and the rest of us use vocals only in our monitors - as hearing our drummer, the guitarist's 50 watt Marshall halfstack, and my 700rb-II/Mesa 610 rig is not a problem on the stages we gig, without any of that being in the monitors... As a bonus to this setup, the fans right up front still hear vocals and our backline really well...

Also - I've yet to hear a set of earbuds that'll sound as good as my bass rig - even though my DI'd signal sounds great...

RE:

"One thing a lot of bassists are guilty of is filling up too much sonic space, playing too many notes. With IEMs I tend to play cleaner and sparser and to leave more space."

I don't know what to say to that - I play the same notes, regardless of the monitor situation...

In the end, whatever works for you, I say...

- georgestrings

• Members

Overall, my bandmates can't seem to get the hang of the IEM's. With seven people, getting everyone completely onboard is a challenge. We've decided, unless we need them for a gig (bar gig on 7/25), we going to go old school until we can schedule a day to get together and work the kinks out.

As such, I've been rocking the GB rig lately: GBE-600 & GB 212 Neo. I'm reminded why I bought this setup to begin with and why I'll likely never part with it. We played a huge stage last night and the volume never got past 9 o'clock.

Pics ! :lol:;)

Archived