Bottomheavykate's JTM 45 Build thread....

BottomHeavyKate

• Members

EDIT: Updated pics at end of the thread - time to start this bad boy going agian! :thu:

So it was a rough weekend but last night I started populating my board.....

I wanted to check each component before putting it on like Kindness and Guttermouth suggested....

I test my 220k resistors....they were within range....

I move on the to 270k resistors.....

my brand spanking new multimeter stops working :cry:

No pics - I only had three things on the board.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

BOOOO. BALLS.

What brand multimeter? Because as much as you have invested in this build, it's worth it to go invest in a Fluke meter. Reliable is an understatement. I know of no computer techs or electronics gurus, who don't have a Fluke in their toolkit.

• Members

• Members

I would love to get a fluke but we're saving up for a boat and a truck so I'm really trying to keep the spending to a minimum. This one had pretty good reviews.....

I put generic radio shack batteries in it but I don't think that should matter. Maybe I'll get some duracells or something.

• Members

:D

I have a Realistic multimeter (Radio Schack house brand) and push comes to shove you can do the deed with one of those. They aren't expensive and are accurate enough to get where you're going methinks - Kindness may have an alternate opinion.

• Members

Well at this point, get whatever is closest. Craftsman meters have treated me well, and can be found for $30. It'll get you past this build. Just don't expect any laboratory-required accuracy.

Thanks for the recomendations! Maybe I'll have time to grab one tonight.

• Members

Kate,

That just plain sux!

You can always populate the entire board then check the values. If they're good solder em up.

Just a thought to keep it moving forward.

Teh smartness.

Don't flip it upside down, though. Heheh.

• Members

for some reason, our cats are highly intrigued by electronics (and everything else to be honest...) but they do seem to have a sixth sense for chaos and want to destroy that which will annoy us most :p do you have an extra bedroom to lock everyone out of?

• Moderators

Actually, you don't wanna do that. Anything you may have wired in parellel will give you false readings OHMS wise...just saying.....
:blah:

I measure before and after I populate the board. Of course, I lift each component for the measurement, so I'm not running into that problem. If you don't, your readings will be foooooked. :D

• Members

Well, I've got everything except a missing component on the board - I'm missing the 250uF @ 25 V. They sent me a 22uF 630V instead.

So here is the board - I'm off to see if I can pick up the missing part and a new multimeter. I'll pull everything off and check readings before I start soldering....

P7180041.jpg

P7180042.jpg

P7180049.jpg

Archived