Help please, valuation needed on a1962(?) fender jazz bass...

madmax100

• Members

He bought it in '71. Still remembers who/where he bought it from etc. He had the refinish done when he had it. According to the other posts in this thread, the body is a refin too, I probably just heard him wrong. The body does look too clean not to be a refin to me, even though it hasn't been played much.

• Members

Also, that bass/hardware looks WAY too clean to be from a bass that's nearly 50 years old. I'll definitely buy that the neck was refinished, but I'm curious how much of the rest of that original bass was replaced/refinished, if it truly is a '62.

I mean, unless your g-pa kept that thing in the case for 95+% of its life, I'm becoming rather skeptical.

Please keep us updated.

Oh and also, i think that the hardware is much less shiny than it looks in the picture, I think it was just the lighting on the picture

• Members

Open up the control cavity and check the date codes on the pots as well as the date stamp on the heel of the neck. If the pots are original, that will help date the bass.

The body is definitely refinished.

Is there a strip of black rubber inside the bridge cover?

• Members

Ok guys thanks a lot, I'll have a look at the pots, stamp etc. when I get hold of the bass, & I'll update the thread with pics, serial number etc. Again, thanks for all the info and interest, and I'll try get it as soon as possible

Archived