Light but loud bass amp recommandations please !

The Unknown

• Members

Hi !

I've been thinking about replacing one of my amps... For your reading pleasure, I've separated the following in two sections... you can skip the first if you like... but it explains alot of what you read in the second.

Context

I'm a long time Ampeg SVT user and really love that amp. I used to play with it in my band. I will always keep that amp, eventhough I use it at home only now...

When I split from my band, I started playing with different people, at different places. I needed an amp that would actually fit in my car. So I got a good deal on a used Ampeg B2 1x15 combo. I've been carrying that one for a while but it's pretty heavy, and I prefer 10 inch or 12 inch speakers to 15s. It sounds decent, though, and it's loud enough with a drummer.

To play at home, I use a SansAmp RBI plugged into a mixer. The SansAmp is OK, but it gets noisy at some settings... a good tube emulation but still not like the real thing.

The real question

So I'm thinking about selling the Ampeg B2 1x15 combo for something at least as loud, but not more then 2/3 of it's weight... with 10 or 12 inch speaker(s). I would find it convenient that the replacement amp as a tube preamp, with an XLR out, so I could use it through a mixer, as a DI... which would allow me to sell the SansAmp RBI.

I don't wanna be disapointed in terms of sound, though... keep in mind I'm an old SVT guy.

Any suggestions on amps I should take a look at ?

• Members

What cab were you pushing with that behemoth SVT?

Will a 110 or 112 be enough?

I mean you could put like a Mesa Walkabout into an 810 and it'd be awesome, but I'm dunno if that small of speaker area would be enough.

• Members

The Roland DB combos are awesome.

Fender has a couple of 2x10 combos Bassman and Rumble. I'd probably go with the Bassman.

I don't have any experience with the new Line6 bass combos, but I've heard good things from people.

• Members

The old SVT thing throws me for a bit of a loop, but small and light points me to Genz-Benz Shuttle, or a Mark-Bass. Both are small light and loud, I just don't know if you will find the tones you need. I have a shuttle and am very happy with it.

• Members

The old SVT thing throws me for a bit of a loop, but small and light points me to Genz-Benz Shuttle, or a Mark-Bass. Both are small light and loud, I just don't know if you will find the tones you need. I have a shuttle and am very happy with it.

Yeah I missed something there also.

The Mesa combos are badass, portable, but not exactly light. Coming from an SVT tho, I dunno if any of those ultra-lights are really gonna do it.

However the LowDown combos have some nice modeling features. Maybe the 115 model?

• Members

Yeah I missed something there also.

The Mesa combos are badass, portable, but not exactly light. Coming from an SVT tho, I dunno if any of those ultra-lights are really gonna do it.

However the LowDown combos have some nice modeling features. Maybe the 115 model?

Line6... no, sorry... I'm really not into those digital modeling thing that are supposed to sound like the real thing... I'd prefer a different real thing that something that tries to sound like an SVT...

Mesa's Walkabout aren't light ?

• Members

Genz Benz shuttlemax 12.0 and a Uber 212. The head weighs about 7 pounds the cab 62. Sounds great and is loud. Add a 410 Uber and you are pushing 1200 watts.

I'll second the Genz Benz. Great gear. Great company. Haven't tried the Shuttlemax 12.0, but have used the Shuttlemax 6.0 and THAT was pretty loud by itself. :D

• Members

Ampeg ba series are pretty good. I have the ba115t and it sounds great and it gets loud. Only about 60pounds. I love it.

Just sold mind because it couldn't keep up with a guitar, keyboard, and drums. We weren't even that loud, but the thing had to be dimed to be audible. Replaced it with a cheap Acoustic 600w head and the 410 cab, which isn't light but is louder. I'll probably make a cab for a 15" out of some that lightweight MDF and a Neo-magnet speaker.

• Members

Genz-Benz ShuttleMAX 6.0 + Genz-Benz NeoX 112.

I second that. I traded in my GBE1200 and went with the ShuttleMax 6.0. I really like the sound of it with my NeoX 112t (35 lbs.). It can go old-school if you like or modern. Tube or solid-state channels, well-voiced presets that are footswitchable. I've been liking the GB heads now for about 3 years. I still have my GBE750 and NeoX212t as my "gig rig".

• Members

Just sold mind because it couldn't keep up with a guitar, keyboard, and drums. We weren't even that loud, but the thing had to be dimed to be audible. Replaced it with a cheap Acoustic 600w head and the 410 cab, which isn't light but is louder. I'll probably make a cab for a 15" out of some that lightweight MDF and a Neo-magnet speaker.

mine rattles pictures upstairs. My brother just got a line 6 spider 3. I jam with him all the time. the amp works great for me.

• Members

Another vote for Genz Benz. I've had my Shuttle 6.0 for about a year now, played it in any kind of situation you can imagine. Awsome sounding, light, loud, and reasonably priced when you consider what you're getting.

Can't go too wrong with MarkBass either.

• Members

Line6... no, sorry... I'm really not into those digital modeling thing that are supposed to sound like the real thing... I'd prefer a different real thing that something that tries to sound like an SVT...

Mesa's Walkabout aren't light ?

Well the modeling isn't a necessity- I'm just saying those combos overall are very nice for the money and the top 115 model has some major juice behind it!

Yeah I keep forgetting they have the Scout combos! I just always think of the Ventures. :facepalm:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/walkabout/WalkaboutScout/WalkScout.htm

Scout 115! :thu::thu:

WalkScoutFront.gif

• Members

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schoocher

Ampeg ba series are pretty good. I have the ba115t and it sounds great and it gets loud. Only about 60pounds. I love it.

Just sold mind because it couldn't keep up with a guitar, keyboard, and drums. We weren't even that loud, but the thing had to be dimed to be audible.

Was thinking the same thing - although I never owned one, I've played them a few times - both in a band setting and in a store - and they are far from what I'd call "loud"... Although they sound good, a moderately loud drummer and reasonable volumed guitar will easily drown them out...

- georgestrings

Archived