Traben basses: any good?

Davey90

• Members

Hey guys!

For a while I've considered buying a Traben bass guitar (Probably the Phoenix, tribal sun, or Array model). I live in Australia and unfortunately very few or no music stores import the brand (that I know of). At the moment my only option is to probably get one shipped from the U.S, but i don't want to end up spending money and effort and discovering that the bass isn't what I want.

I'm looking for a deep bass sound, but with a crisp punch to the highs and not as much mids that has a good slap & pop sound (so probably a funk kind of tone: RHCP, Larry graham, Louis Johnson etc). Does anyone know if the models I mentioned deliver in this aspect?

Thanks a bunch

P.S. If this is posted twice, it's because I just joined this forum and have no idea how to do stuff right yet :)

• Members

Traben owner here. When they first came out, I thought they were crap, but over the last two or three years or so, they've really stepped up their game. I've played the Phoenix, Array, and more of the funky sun/oval/tribal bridge models, and to be frank, am not a huge fan. The tone on those models is no better than most Iby's, IME.

However....I currently own a Traben Havoc (the John Moyer signature bass) and the tone is incredible-very much like a stingray. I highly suggest the Moyer or Chaos Obsession or Chaos Core. All very killer basses with great sustain, tone, build, etc. Everyone I've talked to who owns one of these models can't say enough good about them:

[YOUTUBE]B6MgGgKeQ5M[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]uT63muS9AHY[/YOUTUBE]

Dude playing in these videos is from Oz. And even these videos don't give them true justice, but they are damn fine basses. :thu:

• Members

Thinks trabens would do fine for that. The 3 band eq allows for lots of variety. Very articulate basses too. Check out the sound samples of trabens via utube video search "traben bass". Weight wise, the ones I checked out last year at local GC where light to medium weight. Got a Traben Array attack 4 on its way to me at the moment. To be my 2nd and alt bass. Course its gonna weigh a bit more then my Ibanez SR30, but it can float on water so light. Lol.

• Members

I'm looking for a deep bass sound, but with a crisp punch to the highs and not as much mids...

Well this is not a Traben, but what you're describing here is exactly how I would describe the tone of a stock Schecter Stiletto Elite. They're stupid easy to find hanging around at GC's, you should try one out for comparisons, as the tone is just what you want.

• Members

Still doesnt know what traben basses peeps are saying are heavier then average. My Traben Array Attack 4 string weighs only maybe a pound more then my Ibanez SR300 which is very light. Traben Array attack come in at just over 6 pounds, 6 and half pounds at most. Lol.

Ok, so, he needed truss rod adjustment, had start of backbow out of the box and the neck bolts needed tightening. Everything else was fine, good and tight fit. Lowered bridge pup just a tad for best to me sound with it combined with neck pup. Lowered action a little. For lmy preferance of lowest possible action. Sound variety? excellent, anything from a rickenbakerish with balls tone to mellow deep bass one. Plenty of bite, crunch and snarl available to taste. I do seriously believe the brass bridge helps the sound. Ive used brass bridges for my basses whenever available. The asthetics of the oversize bridge works well for me and might contribute to bridge to body sound transfer. The neck jazz style pups very nice, its angle giving better string to string tone for neck pup position to me. Bridge pup also very nice humbucker type sound. Output of the instrument is bit hotter then muy Ibanez which contgributes to the sound wanted for second bass. More suitable to rage on heavy overdrive lead bass type stuff. My Ibanez SR300 for basic main cruising electronica bass tone. The Traben Attack for alternate when wants to step out more in front with a more heavy guitar like tone in bass octaves range. Lol.

Traben necks very nice very playable. 5 peice maple and walnut. The deadbolt configuration as they call it for the 4 neck bolts does look little odd. But does allow for the extra sloped neck pocket on treble string side which increases playability at body end of neck.

• Members

Still doesnt know what traben basses peeps are saying are heavier then average.

I checked out the Phoenix when Traben first came to Canadian stores, and the thing weighed more than the Stingray I was playing at the time. I didn't even strap it on, since the Ray was giving me back problems at the time.

• Members

Traben got much better than it was in the first place.

First series had sub-par electronics and badly selected woods.

Now they turned into some kind of Cort for metal men, a pretty good and distinctive instrument at a reasonnable price.

I still think they sound a bit standard, without much personnality. It doesn't fit the looks.

Archived