Vista: Install service pack 2?

philthygeezer

• Members

No problem with it. Depending how well youve kept up with major upgrades till now with vista and depending on your internet speed, may take more then an hour before its all finished installing with your puter also restarting several times during the process.

• Members

Service packs are a must do unless you use a not-so-legal copy of your OS.

Like anyone HERE would do that...

Absolutely do the service pack BUT.... it's a fairly involved process and installes new "things". I'd wear a tinfoil hat from now on to keep it out of your head.

windows7hitler.png

• Members

No such thing unless you bought your computer after june 2009.

Service packs are a must do unless you use a not-so-legal copy of your OS.

I'm getting my 'free' upgrade from HP. It costs me $12 in "shipping". I assume that it will be coming encased in a concrete block or something to that extent.

Really though, $12 isn't bad for the upgrade. I haven't been able to do Vista updates for a few month due to some crazy error that I can't find a solution to (other than reinstalling) so I figured I'd just hold off until my Win 7 copy arrives, which hopefully won't be too much longer. :)

• Members

Wait for the free upgrade to 7.

So far not impressed. MS site has these features listed on the Windows 7 homepage.

SnaP: Instantly arrange two windows exactly side by side.

Ooo, save .0005 seconds doing something I do about once every six months.

Live Taskbar Previews: Scan through open files to find just what you're looking for.

*yawn*. Why? I started all the programs, I know what they are. I really need a preview before I click on it?

Pin: Keep programs and files handy: pin them to the taskbar or Jump Lists.

Obviously for people who find quick launch and toolbars too complicated?

Windows Search: Search on your PC the same way you search on the

Internet.

I can use Google to search for files? :rolleyes:Why?

Yea, maybe the next time I rebuild my system but for now all I see is a bunch of interface mashups.

• Members

Really? No problems with Vista? I am in the small minority that much preferred Vista to XP, and even I wouldn't claim that.

Ever tried to put your Vista machine to sleep and have it wake up again? 50-50 at best.

No random reboots for no apparent reason?

How about the activation? Upgrade your laptop's hard drive and Vista suddenly needs a new activation - be prepared to call Microsoft and explain how you are not stealing their OS.

Buy a new PC and want to move your old apps over (or even move them to a new directory on your existing PC)? No, you get to reinstall them. MS-DOS could handle this, Vista can't.

Ever tried to put Vista on your netbook? Simply too slow to use, on a class of machine which runs virtually any other OS on earth (Win XP, Win 7, Linux, OS X) well.

Vista has its strengths, it is FAR more secure than XP and has a more modern interface, but no problems??????

I ran to 7 as soon as possible.

Archived