Who's rockin' the GB Shuttles here?

Thunderbroom

• Members
While I can appreciate your comments, I'll defer to the experts. The recommendation for this pairing came from two GB employees with intimate knowledge of both the cabs and amps.

;)

I'm playing an amp that pushes 800 watts into a cab that handles less than 600 watts according to what is written on the label on the back. I've heard the speakers can handle more, but, regardless, it's a very efficient cab, and I haven't even gone up to 12 o'clock on the Master Volume yet. With PA support, I don't see myself ever needing to go that high... :idk:

• Members
Really? How many gigs have you played with this setup?

Exactly zero, but given that amp and speaker behavior are pretty predictable, most amps are probably only reaching a power output that even approaches the amp's rating on the loudest of transients, or on the lowest of notes. Normally, the amp will be operating at a number far lower than its rated output.

In light of the above (and from observing that most cabs will let you know that they're being pushed too hard long before you damage them), I'd feel comfortable gigging such a setup. I gigged a "1200W" amp into a "200W" cab for a long time, and never did any damage-in fact, bpocall still owns and uses the cab in question. It's easy to avoid damage as long as you're listening. :thu:

I've also heard Thunderbroom's band gig on several occasions. With the level of PA support they have and their stage volume, I suspect that the amp and cab in question won't be pushed anywhere near their limits. In light of that more than anything, I feel comfortable making the assertions that I have.

• Members

If you're happy, I'm happy.

I'm a long-time GB customer. I continue to buy from them because they sell solid products and have some of the best customer service in the business. I'll trust the guy that designed the amp over some guy on an internet forum. He could have recommended any of their other amps but didn't (including the more expensive ShuttleMax 12.0). For me it wasn't a matter of buying or not buying GB; it was a matter of which one is the best fit for my cab.

• Members

I'm a long-time GB customer. I continue to buy from them because they sell solid products and have some of the best customer service in the business. I'll trust the guy that designed the amp over some guy on an internet forum. He could have recommended any of their other amps but didn't (including the more expensive ShuttleMax 12.0). For me it wasn't a matter of buying or not buying GB; it was a matter of which one is the best fit for my cab.

Okay then.

• Members
While I can appreciate your comments, I'll defer to the experts. The recommendation for this pairing came from two GB employees with intimate knowledge of both the cabs and amps.

;)

There's nothing wrong with having some added clean headroom. You are perfectly fine doing this, but you already knew that.

• Members

Besides, T'broom rocking the Shuttle at a full 900 watts? Won't happen! He'd have to be rocking an arena, and he'd be DI'd long before that level of power was reached!.

I've shaken the {censored} out of those 212Ts at 75% volume (and not out of headroom), and I've only got 600W per side.

• Members

I've been using Genz Benz exclusively now for a couple of years. First my GBE600 head, then the Neox 212t, then a Neox 112t, then a GBE750, then a GBE1200 (total overkill for me). I traded in the GBE1200 and bought a ShuttleMAX 6.0. I like the fact that the channel & control setup is basically identical to my GBE750. My GAS has been satisfied for the time-being.

I sold my Fender Bassman 150 combo amp because the combination of the ShuttleMAX 6.0 and Neox112t was basically the same weight. A couple of gigs have been literally one load in, one load out. No-one but me would pick up on this in a gig situation, but I have noticed that the fan is louder than on my GBE750. For all of my gigging situations, the 6.0 power is more than enough. I didn't see the point of the 12.0 or the 9.0 for me anyway. Here's my Shuttle / 112 pair:

3668668156_94e30cf542.jpg

and the Shuttle / 212 combo:

3667859689_c35fcb3588.jpg

Archived