I'm thinking of changing one of my amps... opinions wanted

The Unknown

• Members

Hi !

I've been posting amp questions lately... but my real concern is that I'm thinking of maybe changing one of my amps... I'd like your opinion on this idea.

I own an Ampeg B2 combo (1x15) as a second amp (main one is an SVT), which I use to bring to occasionnal jams with friends, including drummers.

The B2 sounds OK, does the job, is loud enough (but never as present as the SVT). BUT : it's heavy, relatively big, and it's DI is noisy.

I'm thinking of maybe changing it for a lightweight class D combo, like a Genz Benz Shuttle or an Ibanez Promethean, but I could only afford (and/or justify myself the purchase of) a 1x10 combo is that range. Questions I'm asking myself about this idea : Would the small combo be loud enough (even with a rock drummer) ? Would I be able to get a better sound or at least an equal sound out of it then with the B2 ? Would it handle a low B at high volume or blow to pieces ?

In brief, would I be disapointed with that swap ?

Let me know what you think !

• Members

Be warned! I started thinking about a small head and cab for portability over my B100R and I ended up selling the SVT-CL/410HLF also. The SVT was way overkill for my needs and I didn't care for the sound of it with a recently acquired instrument, but once you see what these lightweight heads can do you might just switch over altogether.

• Moderators

I can't speak specifically to the GB, but I can speak to the 1x10. I had an Eden CXC110 combo (a wt330 in a 110 cab) and it held it's own just fine. Obviously there are variables, such as how big the room is, how loud the drummer is, etc., but as long as this isn't some low end practice amp (which the GB isn't), I'd say it could serve you well in that capacity.

Archived