NAD: GK MB-210 Review

mlwarriner

• Members

Very nice combo, definitely better than the price would lead you to believe.

It came UPS last week, but I was headed out of town and didn't get any time with it beforehand. Tonight, I was able to use it at church, and to do some testing before the service.

I honestly thought, before I unpacked it, that somehow it had slipped through QC without speakers in it or something. Unbelievably light, for a 2x10 combo. I knew it was supposed to be light, but not "that" light. Like 2-finger-lifting light. Like my 6 year old could probably carry it light.

So I plugged it in tonight and did a quick "set everything to the middle" adjustment. Plugged in the G-V and powered up.

Huge. Monstrous. Amazingly loud and low and clear and clean. I twiddled a bit with the controls and found a near-perfect imitation of my 800RB. My guitarist immediately commented how much clearer the combo sounds than my 800RB/Schroeder 1212L rig that I'd been using.

I wouldn't hesitate to take this combo to any gig I play. If you've got PA support, I don't see needing any more than just the combo. But - I bought the 2x10 for a reason, and that reason is the ability to add an external speaker. It's speakon-only, and I don't currently have a cable or the materials to make one with. So I didn't hook up the Schro. Yet.

Overall, easily the best $400 I've spent on gear in a long time. It's lighter, louder and better sounding than pretty much anything I've played on in a long, long time.

Overall, I'd probably give it a 9 or 9.5 out of 10. Small point reductions for no mute, no pre/post EQ on the DI and no level control for the horn. It's either on or off.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was wondering about those. The 350 watt version is around $550 and the 500 watt version with 2 12's is around $650 I think.

either i remembered wrong, or the price went up since i ordered mine. i would have sworn the 2x10 was 500 and the 2x12 was 600, but now they're 600 and 700, respectively, on musicians friend.

:idk:

• Members

So you're going to wait two months to flip it? :)

As much as I like the concept of these little guys I don't see a lot of advantages over the Carvin BR5* combos, unless you are Gk tone kinda guy. The inability to remove the head is a total dealbreaker for me in a combo, but that's just me.

That said I did play the 15" model at GC and it sounds wonderful. Glad you like it :)

• Members

So you're going to wait two months to flip it?
:)

As much as I like the concept of these little guys I don't see a lot of advantages over the Carvin BR5* combos, unless you are Gk tone kinda guy. The inability to remove the head is a total dealbreaker for me in a combo, but that's just me.

That said I did play the 15" model at GC and it sounds wonderful. Glad you like it

because i saved 20 pounds over the carvin, and it's got the gk tone that i like, and the carvin would've cost me 140 dollars more?

:D

• Members

I've loved every GK that I've owned. I can't get passed the whole "you get what you pay for" thing though.

i've owned a few different GK products (1001RB head, 800RB head, and a few cabs, in addition to the new combo) and have loved all of them also.

this really seems to be an excellent deal, at least on the surface. we'll see how it goes in the longer run though. obviously, i haven't fully tested the amp (others on TB have given these combos a serious workout or twelve though, with good results) so i can't speak about the longevity.

GK truly seems to be an excellent "bang for the buck" company, IMO. all of their gear seems pretty reasonably priced, and i've never had any issues with it. YMMV of course.

• Members

GK truly seems to be an excellent "bang for the buck" company, IMO. all of their gear seems pretty reasonably priced, and i've never had any issues with it. YMMV of course.

I've put GK 400/800RB's through way more than their share of abuse and they've all handled it with ease. And, the GK tone is pretty darn awesome IMO. I really, really hope these things are every bit as solid as their predecessors have been. Keep giving feedback as you have a chance to use it. :thu:

• Members

I've put GK 400/800RB's through way more than their share of abuse and they've all handled it with ease. And, the GK tone is pretty darn awesome IMO. I really, really hope these things are every bit as solid as their predecessors have been. Keep giving feedback as you have a chance to use it.
:thu:

with some tweaking, it does a pretty slick imitation of my 800RB/Schroeder 1212L rig. :thu:

• Members

because i saved 20 pounds over the carvin, and it's got the gk tone that i like, and the carvin would've cost me 140 dollars more?

:D

7lbs if you get the 15" combo, which is on the Ebays for 530 - with removable head, 2 ohm capability, and more eq.

Just fillin' in for Jeffbass here. :) I really like the MB combos, good deals and awesome weight. Not *quite* my cuppatea though. Look forward to hearing more about how it goes with gigging and reliability.

• Members

7lbs if you get the 15" combo, which is on the Ebays for 530 - with removable head, 2 ohm capability, and more eq.

Just fillin' in for Jeffbass here.
I really like the MB combos, good deals and awesome weight. Not *quite* my cuppatea though. Look forward to hearing more about how it goes with gigging and reliability.

if i wanted a removable head, why would i purchse a combo amp? :p

2ohm stability doesn't matter much to me when all of my cabinets are 8 ohms. :rolleyes:

meh. different strokes and all that. i'm definitely a gk fan, and not a carvin fan. to be fair, though - i've not played anything from carvin since the R-1000 head. :bor:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

finally got a chance the other night to really give the new rig a workout, and i'm even more impressed than i was before.

running the MB-210 and a schroeder 1212L, everything set on noon, with the master at about 8.

hella loud, full, big and rich sound. lovely. the "gk sound" comes right through in spades.

i'm as happy or happier with this rig as i've been with any rig i've owned since my trace v6. and since my whole rig now weighs less than my trace did alone, i've gotta give the top spot to the gk/schro ultralight rig.

• Members

Most excellent, thanks! I've heard that these things are so light, that they actually move around when you're playing through them at high volumes, have you found that to be true?

wasn't an issue for me, but that's not to say it isn't an issue at all.

when i was playing loud, mine was sitting on top of my schroeder 1212L. carpeted.

when the combo was sitting on a hard floor, it was my church gig, and i wasn't playing very loud.

:idk:

Archived