NAD: GK MB-210 Review

mlwarriner

• Members

I am in this thread because I like talking about bass gear and had some questions and comments about various statements made. I believe I will stick to doing as I damn well please. Where I was kinda going with the discussion is that if the combo does not sound good on its own maybe people could buy the head and a better cabinet. Is that not a worthwhile area of discussion when the reviewer himself was describing the combos shortcomings?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am in this thread because I like talking about bass gear and had some questions and comments about various statements made. I believe I will stick to doing as I damn well please.

I'm not saying you should stop, but you kept on a track that was kind of irrelevant to the topic. Not that everything has to stay on topic but after two pages you were still asking the same question and still getting the same answer. Figured I'd ask why you were in the thread in the first place.

Where I was kinda going with the discussion is that if the combo does not sound good on its own maybe people could buy the head and a better cabinet. Is that not a worthwhile area of discussion when the reviewer himself was describing the combos shortcomings?

I was the only one who said it didn't sound good. The conversation between you and ML was a separate topic. He likes the combo (and apparently isn't alone) but says if you add another speaker that it would be a good idea to get one that doesn't have a ton of lows because the combo already had a ton of lows. That is completely different than saying it doesn't sound good. Apparently you take issue with a cabinet that is not completely perfect across the board:idk:

I understand you are particular with your cabinets but this was a discussion about the GK. You took one possible observation (note the ? at the end where he said "possibly too much?") and ran with it. I was honestly kind of baffled with your participation.

• Members

In general it does not make sense to run an extension cabinet to "complement" your other cab. I know some people get good results this way but it usually means your main cab choice was wrong. These days it is really possible to find a bass cab that will reproduce everything you are putting out and not have to make up for deficiencies.

obviously with combos you have fewer options but getting an airhead built is not that expensive. Or some means of attaching a mini head.

when shopping in my living room, my choices are a little limited. especially when the point is to build a modular, fully-capable, lightweight gigging bass rig. aside from my combo, i own exactly three other cabinets. of those three, the best choice i had available to me was the schroeder. it dawned on me that the lack of mids in the schroeder is compensated for by the abundance of lows in the gk combo.

so i guess you'll excuse me if i write off your current opinions/discussion in this thread because quite frankly, they don't mean {censored} in my world.

• Members

Ugh.

How is discussing the merits of the combo as a standalone amp irrelevant to the topic? And what question was I "still asking" after two pages? I don't understand what you are talking about.

You and Kindness both said it doesn't sound good.

I do take issue that the cabinet has lows that you can't dial out. Doesn't have to be completely perfect, but that's a problem in my opinion.

In the future, please refrain from asking me such jackassy questions as "Why are you even participating in this thread?" as I won't bother answering them.

• Members

I am in this thread because I like talking about bass gear and had some questions and comments about various statements made. I believe I will stick to doing as I damn well please. Where I was kinda going with the discussion is that if the combo does not sound good on its own maybe people could buy the head and a better cabinet. Is that not a worthwhile area of discussion when the reviewer himself was describing the combos shortcomings?

where did i ever say it didn't sound good?

• Members

I didn't like the preamp in one of the early iterations of the amp. I've never played the combo.

Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't sound good.
:idk:

I give up at summarizing - Didn't sound good TO YOU :p Everyone enjoy your ultralight boomy combos.

• Members
I didn't like the preamp in one of the early iterations of the amp. I've never played the combo.

Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't sound good.
:idk:

Yeah, I had a version A00 head....GK replaced it and sent me a revision A05 head which I like SO much more than the A00 I had. (They also sent me a BRAND NEW head in replacement...as opposed to me sending in my head and them changing it and sending it back...which is WAY more than I had asked for from them...so props to them for that for sure)
The old revision had a TON of lows, I literally had the bass knob between 8-9 o'clock at ALL times and the low-mid at 10-11...it was LUDICROUS.

• Members

I sat down with one of these at GC today for about 30 minutes. I could not get rid of the low end and could not get any upper mid snarliness to save my life. Could not get much bite out of the horn either. Turning up the treble and high mid knobs did not seem to do much, and turning the bass ALL THE WAY DOWN barely affected the bottom.

It sounded good to my ears on almost all settings but it really only did two sounds - a full sound with a big bottom and a scooped sound with a big bottom.

I tried varying my position quite a bit too (from 10ft away to right up next to it) and just no luck.

I tried the MB2-500 into the GK Neo 4x10 just for comparison and the MB2-500's preamp is drastically different to the combo, to me. It got a number of different tones, in addition to the GK standard tone pretty well.

Definitely would recommend steering clear of the combos and toward the MB2 + cab.

• Members

At least now I know I'm not crazy. This just goes to show you that just because everyone over at TB is drooling over a piece of gear, it doesn't mean it's any good:D

Seriously though, I could imagine that combo being a handful in the wrong room and I found the EQ a little anemic. You could get in the wrong room and not be able to EQ it to sound good.

Dan

• Members

Yeah, Talkbass is a little bandwagony :p

What horrifies me is the idea of playing that combo on a hollow stage...it would probably sound like a herd of buffalo no matter what you did.

Interestingly I could not tell if it was the speaker voicing or the preamp - it COULD be box stuffing midbass hump, but I would expect those speakers to be able to rawr in the midrange and they could not. It sounded almost like the preamp was very limited or something, maybe to -3db to +3db? Bizarro.

• Members

That's really odd for a GK combo to be bottom heavy, especially with 10's and 12's in it, especially with NEO's! My thinking is they might be trying to steal some sales from people who would be buying an Ampeg combo.
I have to try one out at GC, which is right across the parking lot from where I work. Convenient, eh?
I came this " " close to landing one of those Peavey tube amps when they cleared'em out for 400 bucks!!!

• Members

There is STILL one of those VB2's with a broken output jack at my GC for 400 bucks. Still. Like a year old. I keep getting tempted to offer'em 300 and then get it fixed :p

I really was shocked to hear the amount of bass coming out of that little combo. It was absurd. The inability to get the mids was what really blew me away. Usually a 2x10 with neos will peel your face off with mids. I am really thinking it is the EQ on board.

Please check it out Jeff and let us know if it might just be a model issue or something.

Archived