For all you Microsoft haters!

Kindness

• Moderators

http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/opinions/09-1504.pdf

The big patent news is that the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals has upheld the district court's opinion that Microsfot's Word violates a patent owned by i4i Limited Partnership and that as of Jan. 11, 2010, all current versions of Word are off the market.

I'm not a Microsoft hater, but I know plenty of you are. :D

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

{censored}, now I need a new computer to load up the 2007 Office I haven't installed since buying it a year ago on gub'mint discount.
:facepalm:

Any version purchased prior to Jan. 11, 2010 will still be supported. The injunction specifically carves that out to save consumers from bearing any burden for having the infringing software.

• Moderators

i remember reading about this when you first posted it. good for the little guys. its nice to see a big company like M$ cant use their status and high priced lawyers to steal stuff from small business guys.

i hope those guys get the cash and can retire instantly.

My first thought was whether the attys took the case on contingency. 1/3 of 200+ million is decent pay for a few years of work. :facepalm:

• Members

A world without Word??
:eek:

Nah, they'll be forced to innovate faster.

Or, more likely, dump an even buggier new version on the market faster. :thu:

Edit: just skimming the first few pages of the decision...couldn't Micro$oft just eliminate the XML editor and leave everything else as is?

• Members

My first thought was whether the attys took the case on contingency. 1/3 of 200+ million is decent pay for a few years of work.
:facepalm:

I wonder if that sales pitch went anything like the ones in STFF's graphic design thread. "You did a good job last time. Why not work for us for the next 2-2,000 years for free, but do a good job and the payout will be worth it." :D

• Members

Kinda funny since XML was one of the large selling points for upgrading to 07.

microsoft sales pitch guy: "you see, what we did was steal this really neat software from some joe schmoe company i 4 something or other and incorperate it right into word. you are really going to love what it adds to the 07 office lineup"

• Members

Apple would NEVER do anything like that, right?

Anyone who thinks their beloved multi-billion dollar corporation got by on sportsmanship and marketing is an idiot, regardless of industry.

waits for mac fan boys to defend the contents of that link

Archived