My life has hit another milestone

Thunderbroom

• Members

That reminds me of a story. I was going to the store, and my mom and uncle were at the dining room table talking, when I said good bye. Mom did the usual "be careful," to which I looked at my uncle and said "You don't tell your son (who was 30 at the time) to be careful, do you?"

He looked at me, laughed, and said "Jon, every single time he walks out the door."

• Members

I'll never forget the first time I rode with my son driving with a learner's permit. I was thinking how different my engine sounded from the shotgun seat VS driver's side. After a couple of miles I smelled the parking brake frying. Whoops! :facepalm: I assumed he released it. :bor:

• Members

My wife took my daughter out driving the first day she got her temps. I didn't know she was getting them. I thought I would be the one to give her a few tips. She stepped on the gas instead of the brake when coming to the driveway and put the minivan into the woods and hit a tree. $1500.00 later:confused:

When she got her regular license she was driving too fast around a corner and went off the shoulder, lost control and flipped it..totaled it. Insurance money and $10k out of my pocket and we have a newer minivan. Since then she took the garage door out twice. Once going out $300. (sneaking out late at night) and once coming in $500( sneaking in early in the morning) .:wave: a real hoot................:cry:

• Members

She took her boyfriend back to his car (about 25 minutes away...half way between his house and ours) this evening. His battery was dead, and he couldn't figure out how to jump it though I texted instructions. His dad came down and helped out. My daughter was frazzled when she got home but I just reminded her that she learned some valuable stuff tonight.

• Members

Anyone else learn to drive with a manual transmission? That's how I learned, and I think it made me a better driver - more in tune with what the car is doing.

In Cyprus you cannot get a license unless you drive manual. It does make you a better driver, it makes you pay more attention and be closer connected to the car itself.

What I'm saying is, unless you can drive manual you're not a real man.

:D

• Members

Anyone else learn to drive with a manual transmission? That's how I learned, and I think it made me a better driver - more in tune with what the car is doing.

Anyway... Good luck T-broom! I have a long time until I'm in your situation
:)

Most cars sold here are manuals, and the only time I've ever driven one for more than a minute at a time was when I visited the U.S. and was driving from S.F. to Las Vegas and L.A. I hate automatics, but I do understand why you guys have so many of them there, though. The distances you travel by car are ridiculous.

This reminds me of all the stuff I did to my parents car... Remind me to never have kids. And punch me in the gut if I do.

• Members

Most cars sold here are manuals, and the only time I've ever driven one for more than a minute at a time was when I visited the U.S. and was driving from S.F. to Las Vegas and L.A. I hate automatics, but I do understand why you guys have so many of them there, though. The distances you travel by car are ridiculous.

This reminds me of all the stuff I did to my parents car... Remind me to never have kids. And punch me in the gut if I do.

Yeah, it drives me nuts too. Automatics are horrible, and they don't really make a difference once you get up to speed because you aren't shifting then anyways!

• Members

Yeah, it drives me nuts too. Automatics are horrible, and they don't really make a difference once you get up to speed because you aren't shifting then anyways!

Driving in traffic jams, I can understand the appeal.

I love the feeling of shifting down into 3rd (or slow down a bit, and slam it into 2nd :D) in a fast car (such as the Audi S4 I used to own before it got stolen), and blasting past the other cars when overtaking. The kickdown effect isn't even close.

I was actually fairly impressed with the 2.0l 16v 150bhp Chevrolet Malibu automatic I rented while I was there this summer. Nothing even remotely close to the Audi I was used to driving, though...

And my sister's GMC Denali was pure suckage with the automatic, in spite of the huge V8 it had.

• Members

Driving in traffic jams, I can understand the appeal.

I love the feeling of shifting down into 3rd (or slow down a bit, and slam it into 2nd
:D
) in a fast car (such as the Audi S4 I used to own before it got stolen), and blasting past the other cars when overtaking. The kickdown effect isn't even close.

I was actually fairly impressed with the 2.0l 16v 150bhp Chevrolet Malibu automatic I rented while I was there this summer. Nothing even remotely close to the Audi I was used to driving, though...

And my sister's GMC Denali was pure suckage with the automatic, in spite of the huge V8 it had.

Whenever I hit the kickdown switch in an automatic, I'm afraid my powertrain will explode as the engine immediately shoots to 6000 RPM :lol:

Archived