power supply question

poomwah

• Members

Use the one rated at a higher amperage. That is how much it
can
deliver. Using the lower one
might
work but could fritz on you, but the higher is a definate go.

This is true. Many moons ago I went to train to be an electronic tech. As long as the polarity is correct for the jack it's fitting in and the amperage is higher the circuit will only draw the amperage it needs to function.

• Members

Yeah. Something every musician should know:

Voltage = Push

Amps = Draw

Voltage is PUSHED into a device. It is generally a bad idea to use a higher voltage source since that many volts is going to go into the device no matter what. I have successfully used a power supply that is +/- 1 or 2 volts. But in some cases, I've also experienced overheating in the device when going over just a little bit. It all depends on how the device is engineered. If you can't find an exact voltage match, try to go a little under before you go a little over. Going a tad under will work just fine > 90% of the time.

Unlike volts, the device will only DRAW as many amps as it needs... regardless of how many are available. You could supply a 9 volt pedal with 1.21 giga-amps of current... and it will only use the .5 to .6 amps (500-600 milli-amps) that it's asking for.

As was said though, it is in good practice have a power supply minimally capable of the .5 to .6 amp requirement. If not, the power supply will become over-worked and would probably fry.

Archived