Google's Newest Phone

Brother Mango

• Members

Google's new phone is being presented as an unlocked phone and can be used with T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon for $529; though, it can be subsidized with a 2-yr contract for a price of $179.

Might this bring us close to the day when it's typical to choose a phone and select a carrier, and have those decisions completely exclusive?

• Members

Point of information:

From all that I've read over the past days, the unlocked phone in its current version will only work on T-Mobile and AT&T in the U.S., and it won't have 3G service if used on AT&T due to the difference in bands.

The Verizon CDMA phone will have to have a different radio and it is unknown if the CDMA Nexus will be unlocked.

• Members

is being presented as an unlocked phone and can be used with T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon for $529; though, it can be subsidized with a 2-yr contract for a price of $179.

Might this bring us close to the day when it's typical to choose a phone and select a carrier, and have those decisions completely exclusive?

Google is going to rule the world one day, mark my words.

• Members

I do not think the buying population is ready to start paying unsubsidized prices any time soon.

I thought unsubsidized phones were more common in many other (non US) countries?

What would be truly unique is if, once I'd paid for my phone via my first 2-year contract, the price of service actually decreased to reflect the removal of subsidized phone costs from the rate.

I mean today, if you don't pick up a new phone on the phone company's tab every two years, you're actually screwing yourself since your rates aren't any lower from using a completely "paid for" phone.

• Members

What would be truly unique is if, once I'd paid for my phone via my first 2-year contract, the price of service actually decreased to reflect the removal of subsidized phone costs from the rate.

If this came to pass in the U.S., I would heavily consider purchasing unsubsidized phones. However, I don't think we'll truly get to the point where Europeans are with unlocked phones due to the split in technologies across cell phone carriers.

$.02

• Members

I thought unsubsidized phones were more common in many other (non US) countries?

The population in question is the US consumer.

The high end phones may go this route, which makes this interesting, but believe the majority of buyers, who don't use PDA/Smartphones, don't want to pay the unsubsidized cost.

One of my classmates is a designer with Motorola and he says all their research indicates that the market won't support unsubsidized prices. People here are too used to getting a phone for free that would normally cost $200.

• Members

Android has its default UI, no? From what I've read, HTC's Sense UI is absent from this device.

Yes.

Google created a new custom interface for this phone. It is neither the droid default or from HTC. It was designed completely by Google for this phone.

• Members

If this came to pass in the U.S., I would heavily consider purchasing unsubsidized phones. However, I don't think we'll truly get to the point where Europeans are with unlocked phones due to the split in technologies across cell phone carriers.

$.02

I've got a box of unlocked phones. :idk::p

• Members

ALL phones down here (in Central America) are unsubsidized. I'm not sure you could sign up on a plan if you wanted. It's all prepaid. If you want to switch carriers you just pop in a new SIM chip. It's costs about .05/min to talk to the states and about .01/min locally. If your minutes run out you still receive calls (and can still make 911 calls out)

I have friends with iPhones that are jailbroke and they're the bomb down here.

Archived